Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rosemary Flatbread - Daring Bakers' February 2013 Challenge

 
Sarah from All Our Fingers in the Pie was our February 2013 Daring Bakers’ host and she challenges us to use our creativity in making our own Crisp Flatbreads and Crackers!
 
When our February Daring Bakers' host Sarah from All Our Fingers insisted we were could not make anything soft and that it must be crispy, I couldn't have been more thrilled. Crunchy crackers and flatbreads are so satisfying.
 
Originally thinking I would do quite a few varieties I started with the Herbed Flatbread recipe provided by our host. I didn't get very far because this bread is so addictive my family kept asking me to make more.
We loved it! Thanks for the challenge, Sarah!
 
 
Herbed Flatbread
 
Ingredients:1 cup (240 ml) warm water (about 110°F/43°C)
1 teaspoon (5 ml) (2 ¾ gm) active dry yeast
3 cups (720 ml) (420 gm) (15 oz) all-purpose (plain) flour, plus more for rolling
3 tablespoons (45 ml) of extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt
1 teaspoon (5 ml) (5 gm) sugar
1 large egg whisked with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water, for egg wash
sea salt, for sprinkling
1/4 cup (60 ml) (7 gm) (¼ oz) fresh rosemary or thyme ( I used rosemary)
 

Directions:
Place the water in a medium sized bowl and sprinkle the yeast. Let stand until the yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, oil, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and the sugar. Stir until a dough forms.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Use as much flour as necessary so it is not a sticky dough. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and roll the dough around in the bowl so that it is also lightly oiled on the surface. Cover with saran wrap. Let stand in a warm place until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.


Preheat oven to moderate 350°F/180°C/gas mark 4. Divide dough into 16 equal portions and cover with plastic wrap. Roll out each piece to approximately 4"x10" (10cm x 26cm) on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with the egg mixture and sprinkle with sea salt and herbs.


Bake, rotating sheet halfway through baking, until crisp and golden, 18-22 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage and Freezing Instructions/Tips: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month. Prolong the freshness by freezing for up to 3 months.


12 comments:

Gourmet Getaways said...

WOW!! It must have been delicious if the family kept eating it all. Thanks for saying hi on my site. I have a linky tool above the comments if you want to link your story to mine for a blog hop.

Aisha said...

they look great

Cher Rockwell said...

This does look addictive!
It was a fun challenge, wasn't it?

Gen said...

The crackers look delicious!!! I looove rosemary!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Lovely new design Marcella! And your crackers are so lovely and thin too :D I had to laugh at your comment about Raincoat crisps because I thought exactly the same thing! :P I still don't know what Raincoast means!

Renata said...

Hi Marcellina! I'm so glad to be back on track though a little slow. Thanks for your lovely comment, it means a lot to me!
I have missed so many awesome challenges at the DK, I hope someday I can go over all the missed ones !
Wonderful choice of flatbread, made me drool. There's no better combination than bread and rosemary. I wonder how good your house smelled!

Renata said...

Me again... sorry... forgot to answer your question. Yes, I made the Macarons, those little treats are a passion of mine right now!

Cakelaw said...

Yummo - looks delicious Marcellina. I like your new look blog too.

Mary said...

Marcellina, what great results. These look wonderful and they can't help but be delicious. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Oh my, I think I could eat that whole stack of rosemary flatbread. I'll be pinning and making this soon.

Silvia said...

Love it love it love it! Brava Marcellina!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I just made these tonight and they were great. I hope I don't end up eating them all tonight! I'll be posting them tomorrow on my blog.