Sunday, February 3, 2013

Lamingtons - A Baker's Odyssey Personal Challenge #27


I found my patience tested this week as today marked the 7th day without internet service. Yes, I live in Queensland, Australia where, 1000km south, many towns experienced floods disasters.  And yes, the telecommunications staff had more pressing matters to deal with. When I look out my front door this is what I see.

 
As I wander around my house this is the view.
 
 
And, more of the same!
As you can see my area is not densely populated so I guess me and my few distant neighbours aren't seen as a pressing problem to the telecommunications company. Grrrrrr!
But lo and behold! Today I woke to find internet restored!
Ahh,  all is as it should be!
So in the meantime I haven't been able to post or comment and I have to make up time lost!
I'm shocked at how much we have come to rely on having the internet always at hand.
Even my very computer illiterate husband was stressing because he couldn't check out the weather!
 
 Are you like our family?
Do you ever lose you internet service and does it bother you?
Or would you not care if you didn't check your blog/emails/whatever for weeks?
 
 
Australia day was celebrated on 26th January.
For the occasion I made lamingtons and not just my usual lamingtons but lamingtons from the cookbook A Baker's Odyssey by Greg Patent which is part of my personal baking challenge.
I was a little apprehensive of this recipe because it varied from the more commonly used sponge cake to a butter cake for the base.
But, guess what?
I was pleasantly surprised. These lamingtons, though a variation are really delicious.
Enjoy them with a cup of tea!


Lamingtons

Cake
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
12 tablespoons (170g) butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 large eggs

Chocolate sauce
4 cups confectioners (icing) sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons (60g) butter, melted
2/3 cup boiling water

3 to 4 cups unsweetened dessicated coconut



Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
Line 13 x 9 x 2 inch (33 x 23 x 5cm) with nonstick baking paper.
Sift flour and baking powder together.
Beat the butter in bowl of stand mixer until smooth. Add sugar gradually and then the vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. On low speed mix in the flour in 3 additions, alternately with the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with flour. Beat only until smooth. Do not overbeat. Scrape into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.

Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then turn onto a wire rake to cool.
Drape the cake with a clean kitchen towel and leave overnight at room temperature. The cake handles much better the next day.


Cut the cake into 24 even pieces with a serrated knife.

To make the chocolate sauce place the confectioners sugar, cocoa, butter and boiling water in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Set the bowl over a pan of very hot water to keep it fluid.
 

 
Place the coconut in a shallow dish. Drop a piece of cake into the chocolate sauce and using two forks turn it quickly to coat then remove let the excess sauce drip back into the bowl.


Transfer the cake to the coconut and roll around to coat all sides well.


Remove the cake and set it on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining cake and sauce. Allow the cakes to dry for an hour or two before serving.



It is common in Australia to have some lamingtons in the freezer in a well sealed plastic container. Lamingtons defrost quickly and retain their freshness so there is always something delicious for unexpected guests or for the children's lunchboxes or when the munchies take hold!



9 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

This reminds me that I haven't had lamingtons in ages! They look irresistible!

Lisa said...

They look delicious - not like the dried out bought stuff you see. Great job!

Greg Patent said...

Marcellina, your Lamingtons look great! I learned the recipe (in A baker's Odyssey)from an Australian cooking teacher who now lives in the United States. Best, Greg

Ale said...

Hi Marcellina, this cake is really delicious...i think i will try it soon! well done, my friend!
p. i think i couldn't live without internet connection, now it' part of my life...
Have a nice day and hope to hear from you soon!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh that must be such a relief! I would go a bit spare if I didn't have internet but I'm a bit too reliant on it for work. Your view looks much more relaxing than mine! :P

What's for dessert? said...

I didn't know that lamingtons are Australian cake. In Croatia, we make them also and they are called "čupavci"

Quay Po Cooks said...

I feel disconnected if our internet connection is down. I don't think I can live without it. This cake is like the Nyonya kuih.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I have never eaten, nor made laming tons, but you're giving me the desire to go to the kitchen and get started.

Cakelaw said...

Hi Marcellina, I got stuck in Toowoomba for a couple of days because of the floods, though was luckily otherwise unscathed. Glad you got your Internet back. Those lammos look superb - I could definitely go a couple of those.