Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Italian Dream - Part 3 and the end!

 
Our dream holiday in Italy finished up in the south visiting relatives in Reggio di Calabria and Scilla with a brief visit to Sicily. The contrasts in one country which is very small compared to Australia, is absolutely amazing! In the places that we visited in the south it was all about the beach, the sea and what comes from it. Actually, very much like tropical, coastal North Queensland where we live.
 
 
But first no visit could begin without copious amount so delicious food!
 
And a passeggiata along the Reggio di Calabria's esplanade - Lungomare.


 
Then off to Sicily and her sights with Mt Etna keeping a watchful eye on us the whole time.
 
The church of the Madonna della Rocca.
 
In downtown Taromina I ogled the shop windows wondering how much I would be able to bring back to Australia
 
Could I really return with a suitcase full of food?
 
Back to the mainland and off to the gorgeous fishing village of Scilla.
 
How lucky my cousin is to wake up every morning to the sights and sounds of Scilla.
 
Everything about Scilla is fascinating.
 
 
A seafood feast to round off our visit to the south was a wonderful celebration of the fruits of the sea.
 
Plate after plate of seafood came from the restaurant kitchen - what a splendor!
 
Finally an emotional visit to the church where over 50 years ago my parents were married
 - Chiesa di St Antonio, Reggio di Calabria.
 
Our dream is accomplished.
 Arriverderci Italia - until we meet again.

10 comments:

Hotly Spiced said...

What a fantastic family holiday. We went to Noosa! I would love to take our family to Italy and just experience everything the country has to offer including scenery, history and food. Love how you were able to visit the church where your parents were married xx

Ciao Chow Linda said...

How wonderful for you and your family to have spent this time in Italy together. Every place you visited offered different and beautiful vistas and food. Italy is simply enchanting no matter where you go but I agree with you about Scilla. I have lovely memories of my visit there years ago.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What a wonderful trip you had Marcella! And what is that intriguing cake at the top? It looks like it has almonds beautifully arranged on top? :)

bellini said...

Late October and most of November I spent in Italy. I did not make it as far south as Scilla and Reggio but I spent a week in Tropea and the area. I love to find Italian bloggers throughout the world.

IsabelC. said...

Hi Marcellina!So nice to meet you!Thanks for sharing your wonderful time in southern Italy!

shelley c. said...

Oh my gosh, that looks and sounds like a truly amazing trip - well worth the long trip!! A real dream come true vacation!!

Cakelaw said...

Your holiday looks amazing! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Zoe said...

I have never been to Italy before and wish to visit there too one day. You holiday look great!

Mary said...

What a fantastic holiday. You must have had a wonderful time. I hope it is not too hard to settle back into your daily routine. I hope you are enjoying the New Year. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Jeane M. said...

Gorgeous! I love seafood and those dishes left me craving. Can't help to get envious by those lovely scenery. :D Got my eye on your next posts.