Thursday, September 6, 2012

Streuselkuchen - A Baker's Odyssey Personal Challenge #24

 
Well, doesn't time fly!
I hadn't been able to post for various reasons and now before I know it more than a month has gone by. 
About this time in two weeks my family and I will be ready to board our flight to Italy. I am apprehensive and a little anxious to meet relatives I have not seen since I was six years old. Life is strange like that. I had wanted so badly to visit my family's homeland and now I feel nervous like I'm about to take my first bungee jump ( not that I ever have or ever will!). Not being able to make this trip with my sister and leaving an aging father doesn't help.
 
So what to do?
Bake, I suppose!
It always lifts my spirits.
 
What do you do when your feeling blue?
 


Today, I took the other half of the German Yeast dough from the Bienenstich recipe and turned it into Streuselkuchen, a German crumb cake from Greg Patent's "A Baker's Odyssey".
 
 
 
Streuselkuchen
 
1/2 recipe German Yeast Dough,
risen, deflated, shaped into a ball and allowed to rest for 10 minutes
 
Streusel
3/4 cup all purpose flour
6 tablespoons confectioners (icing) sugar
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
 
Confectioners (icing) sugar, to dust



Butter a 9 inch square baking pan. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured to about the size of the baking pan. Transfer the dough to the pan and pat it into the corners.
Cover with a teatowel to prevent drying out.
 

 
Make the streusel:- Put flour, sugar and butter into the work bowl of the food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse 5 or 6 times then run the machine continuously for about 30 seconds until the mixture is crumbly.
Uncover the dough. Press the crumbs to form clumps the size of peas and sprinkle on top of the dough.  There will be a generous layer of streusel. Cover the streuselkuchen with the tea towel and let it stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
During this time heat the oven to 350F/180C.
Uncover the pan. Bake for 30 minutes until the kuchen is risen and golden brown.
 

 
Sprinkle with sugar and allow to cool completely.
 

9 comments:

Renata said...

So good to see you back, Marcellina! This cake looks so amazing, I bet it is delicious! I don't always go to the kitchen when I'm feeling blue, but I'm sure it's a great therapy :)
I wish you have a wonderful time with your relatives in Italy! Have a great trip!

Alida said...

Excellent! I had this in Austria and it is so nice. I will make it! Thank you for sharing.

Maria... said...

hi.. I'm Maria, nice to meet you and nice to meet your blog!:) is full of intresting recipes.. i'm your new follower from today.. if u want u can visit my blog i wuold be very happy;)h&k

Ale said...

hello Marcellina! i talked about your recipe and your blog, you can see my recipe here:
http://dolcementeinventando.blogspot.it/2012/09/coca-cola-chocolate-cake.html

beti said...

it turned out so good! it looks delicious

Rosita Vargas said...

Una buena receta me encantan los kuchen luce irresistible,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Catherine said...

Dear Marcellina, This cake looks absolutely beautiful...perfect with tea or coffee. What a wonderful way to end a long day. Blessings, Catherine xo

Not Quite Nigella said...

Welcome back!! Will we hear more about your trip? And that pizza too? I can't wait to get back into the kitchen to cook when i've been away! :P

creampuff said...

Marcellina - I'm with you. I'm bake when I'm nervous or need to sort things out. I hope your trip was amazing!