Saturday, July 28, 2012

Crackers - Daring Bakers July 2012 Challenge

Our July 2012 Daring Bakers’ Host was Dana McFarland and she challenged us to make homemade crackers! Dana showed us some techniques for making crackers and encouraged to use our creativity to make each cracker our own by using ingredients we love.


 Have you ever made your own crackers?
I know I've thought about it and I have come across some tasty sounding recipes.
But until this month I had never made my own crackers.
Challenged by Dana McFarland to make homemade crackers many Daring Bakers came up with great creative crackers using delicious ingredients.
I simply tried  a recipe for Seedy Crackers supplied by our host, Dana.

I rolled my seedy crackers with a pasta machine so they were quite thin and crunchy and probably took only 7 minutes in total of cooking. The first tray out of the oven was polished off by my daughter and myself. All in the spirit of sampling, of course! 

They were so delicious, it has inspired me to try more cracker recipes in the future but for now I present...

...Seedy Crackers 

Servings: Varies depending on thickness; approximately 50 crackers

Ingredients

1 cup (240 ml) (140 gm/5 oz) whole wheat four
1 cup (240 ml) 140 gm/5 oz) all-purpose (plain) flour
1/3 cup (80 ml) (50 gm) (1¾ oz)poppy seeds
1/3 cup (80 ml) (40 gm) (1¼ oz) sesame seeds
1½ teaspoons (7½ ml) (9 gm) table salt
1½ teaspoons (7½ ml) (8 gm) baking powder
3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon (195 ml) (6½ fl oz) water


Directions

1. Mix the flours, seeds, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
2. Add the oil and stir until combined.
3. Add the water until the dough comes together.
4. Kneed the dough 5 or 6 times and allow to rest, covered, on the counter for 15 minutes. You can also chill the dough at this point and come back later.
 5. Preheat the oven to hot 450°F/230°C/gas mark 8.
6. Working with a quarter of the dough at a time, either use a rolling pin to reach a desired thickness (thick or thin) or roll out in your pasta rollers. If you use pasta rollers, ensure the dough is well-floured so as not to stick.

 7. Place strips of dough on a sheet pan lined with parchment.
8. If the crackers are thick, bake for 7minutes, flip them over and bake for 7 minutes more. Then cut or break into crackers shapes while still warm. Return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until crispy.
9. If not crispy enough when cooled, crackers can be returned to the oven.
10. Store in an airtight container and eat within 2 weeks.



Rolled so thinly, the crackers were easy to overbake. So watch carefully.


 Popped into a zip lock bag these crackers accompanied a tomato, feta, olive, caper and oregano salad in my daughter's school lunch box.


Thank you Dana for a fabulous challenge. I can't wait to try more cracker varieties.....hmmmm....parmesan and thyme, olive oil and rosemary, sea salt......

Edited 29-07-2012: Oops! I forgot we were supposed to bake two different versions of crackers! I will get around to it eventually. 

11 comments:

Cakelaw said...

Your crackers look great Marcellina! And it's a cledver idea to send the girls off to school with them for lunch.

juliana said...

i love your crackers! very creative and tasty challenge!

My Recession Kitchen said...

Your seedy crackers look wonderful!

shelley c. said...

Yum - those crackers look so crisp and delicious! Wonderful job.

Korena said...

I tried to roll a batch of crackers through my pasta machine and failed miserably, but I really want to try it because yours look so thin and crisp and beautiful! Great job!

Angie's Recipes said...

These crackers look fantastic!

thisisrocksalt.com said...

Wow, they are so neat and all identical! Great job with these, I bet they were delicious.

simple baking said...

Wow your crackers look fab. Very neatly done. Will try this seedy one next :D.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I bought some crackers just yesterday that looked like the ones you made and I wondered to myself about making them at home. The prices seemed to have climbed for good, artisanal crackers.

Renata said...

Fabulous crackers Marcellina! I couldn't make it this month, again :(
Hope to be back to the fun soon!

Sawsan @ chef in disguise said...

I loved this challenge too.
Making crackers turned out to be easier and tastier than what I expected :)
Great job on this challenge