Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Boschendal Pudding - A Baker's Odyssey Personal Challenge #20


 I received an email from my sister entitled "Good News from the Kitchen". Maybe you've seen this one, too.
The email opened up with a picture of a rather wrinkled and bedraggled woman with tired eyes and wiry hair. Apparently a TV health guru, 51 years of age who advocated a "holistic approach to nutrition and health" exercise and an organic, vegetarian diet. Hmmmmm.


 Then in the next picture is the voluptuous Nigella Lawson also 51 years, eyes sparkling and a captivating smile. Nigella is eats meat, butter and desserts washed down with red wine!

Now, with this bit of information, I can eat this dessert with a clear conscience!

Boschendal Pudding is a rich dessert of South African origins and becomes #20 in my personal baking challenge of baking my way through A Baker's Odyssey by Greg Patent. If the above mentioned email is anything to go by, the quantities of butter, sugar and cream in this dessert are guaranteed to have us glowing like Nigella in no time at all!

Edited 07/07/2012: Boschendal Restaurant has since been in contact with me and linked this post to their facebook page. Check it out here. They tell me this is one of their most famous desserts. I can see why! 
Boschendal Pudding

Cake
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tablespoons apricot jam
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and still hot
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar

Sauce
12 tablespoons /180g unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup boiling water




Heat oven to350F/180C
Butter an 8 x 3 inch round cake pan.

Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
Beat sugar and egg in a bowl of the stand mixer on medium high for 5 minutes until pale and thick. Add the jam and mix in on low speed. Still on low speed add dry ingredients alternately with milk ending with dry ingredient. Beat just until the batter is smooth. In a small cup combine butter and vinegar and stir into batter.  Pour into prepare pan and bake for 45 - 60 minutes until skewer inserted come out clean. 


In the meantime prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan melt the butter. Add the sugar, cream and boiling water and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Keep the sauce hot over a low heat.
As soon as the cake come out of the oven pour over the sauce. Let it stand until the liquid is absorbed.


According to the recipe it should only take a few minutes however my cake never absorbed all of the sauce. I think, the recipe for the sauce could be halved with no adverse affect.

But come to think of it, I want to look like Nigella. So no, I will continue to use all that butter, sugar and cream! 

The only words that could be heard as we consumed this dessert were.....mmmm, that's good!

Mmmm, that's so good!

9 comments:

Alida said...

this is so yummy! Looks moist and delicate in flavour.

simple baking said...

You go girl! You picked the right one! Three cheers for Nigella!
The pudding looks delicious and the sauce sounds absolutely super.

mireia badia said...

Oh yes, that's good!!!!! I want some of this now!!!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Hehe I've been sent that email too and I think I had the same reaction as you! To eat! :D

Mary said...

This sounds sinfully delicious. Would that I looked like Nigella :-) Perhaps there's not enough butter in my diet. Have a wonderful day.Blessings...Mary

Renata said...

I haven't received this email, but funny enough, I'm 51! haha I might be somewhere in between the two ladies :o) I learned from my mother that everything that is eaten with good sense is healthy. Thumbs up for your rich dessert, I would have a slice of it with no guilt at all!
I'm finally coming back, have to catch up on all the deliciousness I have missed :o)

Phil in the Kitchen said...

Lovely recipe - it looks so decadent and inviting. I have to confess, though, that I've never wanted to look like Nigella.

Barbara Bakes said...

Love all the extra sauce. Looks scrumptious!

Linda V @ Bubble and Sweet said...

Oh I'm with you on enjoying food and life. Your cake swimming in the sauce looks delicious.