Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rainbow Roses Cake


Once upon a time our world of baking was limited to the cookbooks we bought, or the magazines we read, or the swapping of recipes with family, friends and neighbours. Today recipe swapping has reached world wide proportion with the advent of the Internet. On the day we had our Internet connected probably only 13 or 14 years ago my first search was "recipes". Wow, what a world lay out there! This is recipe swapping like never before and how lucky we are. Ideas that would never normally reach far flung areas like rural North Queensland are now at our fingertips. And this is precisely how I first happened upon the "Roses" cake. Since I had seen this cake I had always wanted to make my own version but by doing a little research I realised  I needed a Wilton 1M piping tip. So that was my intended purchase. Once in hand, all I needed was a special occasion and a worthy recipient.

Yep, earlier this year I had just that - my daughter's 17th birthday!  




Rainbow Roses Cake

Make up Heavenly White Cake recipe with a few adjustments. Use 1 1/2 cups milk instead of 1 cup and when it is time add the meringue fold do not beat as specified in the recipe.

I only had 4 cake pans of the same size (about 8 inch), if you have more you can make more layers.
Divide the cake batter into four medium bowls. Leave one plain and colour the other 3 pink each one progressively darker than the last so the result is three pinks ranging from light to dark pink batter. Pour each batter into separate lined cake pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350F/175C.


I love Warren Brown's Italian Meringue Butter cream. By following this fantastic clip by The Man himself you will have no trouble. It does seem frightening watching the meringue collapse as you add the butter but just keep beating and it will all work out. Sandwich each layer with a little of the butter cream. 

Then coat the whole cake with a little of the butter cream.


Using a Wilton 1M tip pipe roses all over the cake. It's not at all as hard as it looks. Do grab yourself this particular piping tip, it will make all the difference.


This birthday cake was happily received by all, best of the the birthday girl herself!


Heavenly is the appropriate description for this cake which melts in your mouth and has a sublime taste and texture. 


I could sit down to the whole bowl of this delicious butter cream! Not a very good idea but it is so addictive.

Happy Birthday to my sweet 17 year old! 

13 comments:

Bianca Neve said...

E' bellissimo! Sei bravissima!

Betty said...

bellissima!!!

Laura - Broxholm Road said...

This is beautiful Marcellina, so elegant!

Alida said...

Wow!!! All the recipes you are coming up with are very inventive.
This cake is just a masterpiece. Excellent work!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

How absolutely stunning! I love the ombre layers, something that I've been itching to do for a while now. Those buttercream roses are the perfect outer! :)

mireia badia said...

I have no words, this looks AMAZING!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

You did a fabulous job on this cake, something I've been wanting to try for a long time. First I need to get that decorating tip - then the occasion so I don't end up eating the entire thing myself.

Mary said...

Marcellina, this is a beautiful
creation. Your daughter must have been very pleased. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Iron Chef Shellie said...

Oh my stars! I can't believe how gorgeous this cake is, both inside and out! I must try doing fancy flours on the outside of a cake one day :)

Cakelaw said...

What a beautiful cake Marcellina! I agree that the Internet has expanded our world exponentially.

Mary said...

I think this is the most beautiful birthday cake i have ever seen! Gorgeous!

Cookie Kelly said...

Seriously love this cake. So gorgeous!

i5mondi said...

complimenti per questa tirta very very nice!!!!!
baci