Tuesday, March 27, 2012

THE DARING BAKERS' MARCH 2012 CHALLENGE: Lions, Tigers, and Bears, oh my!

Sara and Erica of Baking JDs were our March 2012 Daring Baker hostesses! Sara & Erica challenged us to make Dutch Crunch bread, a delicious sandwich bread with a unique, crunchy topping. Sara and Erica also challenged us to create a one of a kind sandwich with our bread!


Dutch Crunch Bread.
"So what are we making, exactly?" I found myself asking.
As I discovered, Dutch Crunch refers to the topping on the bread not the type of bread itself and is very common in Northern California where Sara originates from.

It wasn't until I kept reading and finding information on the Dutch Crunch bread that I realised that it is the Tiger bread I buy from the supermarket. I was never aware that the crackled effect on the top is from a topping spread on the unbaked bread just like Dutch Crunch. In Dutch it's called "Tijgerbrood". Yes, that's Tiger bread.
However as with all thing homemade the topping on this bread was unlike anything I had tried from the supermarket - it was crunchy, sweet and delicious.

The topping is a mixture of yeast, sugar, oil ( I used sesame oil) and rice flour. Rice flour has no gluten so while the bread underneath rises and expands the rice flour topping simply cracks and crackles.... 

...resulting in this!



My choice of sandwich was a BLT with fried egg and avocado.


Of course, the real challenge is getting your mouth around this!

I will give you the recipe for the topping and also for the white bread rolls I made however you can use any bread recipe you like, just spread with the topping to made TIGER BREAD! Grrrrrrrr.  

Dutch Crunch Topping
Printable Recipe


Servings: This recipe should make sufficient topping for two 9x5 loaves (23cmx13cm) or 12 rolls. If you make only 6 rolls in the soft white roll recipe, you can cut the topping recipe in half.
 
Ingredients
2 tablespoons (2 packets) (30 ml) (15 gm/½ oz) active dry yeast
1 cup (240 ml) warm water (105-115º F) (41-46°C)
2 tablespoons (30 ml) (30 gm/1 oz) sugar
2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil (I used sesame oil)½ teaspoon (2½ ml) (3 gm) salt
1½ cups (360 ml) (240 gm/8½ oz) rice flour (white or brown; NOT sweet or glutinous rice flour) (increase by 1 cup or more for home-made rice flour)
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a whisk; beat hard to combine. The consistency should be like stiff royal icing – spreadable, but not too runny. If you pull some up with your whisk, it should drip off slowly. Add more water or rice flour as necessary. Let stand 15 minutes.
2. Coat the top of each loaf or roll with a thick layer of topping. It works best just to use fingers or a spoon and kind of spread it around. You should err on the side of applying too much topping – a thin layer will not crack properly.
3. Let stand, uncovered, for any additional time your recipe recommends. With the Soft White Roll, you can place the rolls directly into the oven after applying the topping.
4. When baking, place pans on a rack in the center of the oven and bake your bread as you ordinarily would. The Dutch Cruch topping should crack and turn a nice golden-brown color.

Soft White Roll
Servings: Six sandwich rolls
This recipe approximates the quintessential white sandwich roll found throughout the Bay Area. The recipe is simple, quick, and addictive.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon (1 packet) (15 ml) (7 gm/ ¼ oz) active dry yeast
¼ cup (60 ml) warm water (105-110º F) (41-43°C) (No need to use a thermometer – it should feel between lukewarm and hot to the touch).
1 cup (240 ml) warm milk (105-110º F) (41-43°C) )
1½ tablespoons (22½ ml) (20 gm/ ⅔ oz) sugar
2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil (plus additional olive or vegetable oil for greasing bowl during rising)
1½ teaspoons (7½ ml) (9 gm/⅓ oz) salt
Up to 4 cups (960 ml) (600 gm/21oz) all purpose flour
Directions:
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer or large mixing bowl, combine yeast, water, milk and sugar. Stir to dissolve and let sit for about 5 minutes (The mixture should start to bubble or foam a bit and smell yeasty).
2. Add in vegetable oil, salt and 2 cups of flour. Using the dough hook attachment or a wooden spoon, mix at medium speed until the dough comes together. (The photo to below is with the first 2 cups of flour added).
3. Add remaining flour a quarter cup at time until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl, as shown in the photo below
4. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 4 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
5. Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled (or more) in size.
6. Once the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 6 equal portions (if you’d like to make rolls) or 2 equal portions (if you’d like to make a loaf) (using a sharp knife or a dough scraper works well). Shape each into a ball or loaf and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet (try not to handle the dough too much at this point).
7. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 15 minutes while you prepare the topping.
8. Coat the top of each roll or loaf with the topping as described above. While the original recipe recommends letting them stand for 20 minutes after applying the topping,  our hosts got better results by putting them directly into the oven.
9. Once you’ve applied the topping, bake in a preheated moderately hot 380ºF/190°C/gas mark 5 for 25-30 minutes, until well browned. Let cool completely on a wire rack before eating.

 So be sure to load on the topping.

Thanks to our hosts Sara and Erica from Baking JDs for introducing us to this delicious bread!

23 comments:

simple baking said...

oooooooh these look TOO GOOD and a BLT sandwich...oh my!<3 it.

Mary said...

I really have to try this one. You made me very curious as to how this tastes. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Mary said...

I'm not sure my first comment made it through. I just wanted you to know I think you did a great job with the challenge. Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

Rajani said...

Wow! The 'tiger' looks really good.

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

YUM! These tiger bread looks really amazing! I love how you've made these tasty sandwiches! DELICIOUS!! :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Your Dutch crunch looks awesome! And I'm impressed at how neatly everyone spread their topping, mine went everywhere (I think I put on too much :P ).

simple baking said...

hi I've an award waiting for you on my blog

zazacook said...

Your rolls are wonderful :) And your sandwich looks sooo Delicious!!!!!
Lovely work on this challenge.

Susie Bee on Maui said...

Nice job! Love your sammy too.

shelley c. said...

First of all, those rolls look gorgeous. I used sesame oil, too, and I was happy with that decision! :) Second of all, that sandwich looks and sounds mouthwateringly delicious. BLT with egg and avocado is just so decadently delicious... YUM. Wonderful work on this challenge.

Sara Clark said...

YUM! Those avocados are making my mouth water. Fantastic results - your rolls are just beautiful. Thanks for joining us this month!!

http://baking-jds.blogspot.com/

Nish said...

Beautifully done! Love the sound of the sandwich too! Fried egg and avocado = yum!!

Todd M said...

They look beautiful - nice color and pattern. You cn't go wrong with fried egg.

Renata said...

Absolutely gorgeous tiger bread, Marcellina! And your sandwich... I'm glad I have just finished having lunch otherwise I would try to grab one from my screen LOL
Seems like you had a lot of fun, I did too, loved this challenge!

Sawsan@chef in disguise said...

I love the sandwich, it would be a challenge indeed to get your mouth around it but a very yummy challenge

sandie said...

I'm trying it with sesame oil next time,it's sounds great. You always do such a good job with the challenge! Best, Sandie

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

These rolls look so good (and the sandwich toppings as well)!

Catherine said...

Dear Marcellina, I would love to have this for lunch! The bread looks crispy and beautiful and with the BLT...absolutely perfect! This and a cup of coffee is all I need! Blessings for a beautiful weekend my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

Ciao Chow Linda said...

What a unique topping for the bread. And with those sandwich ingredients, I'd be eating more than one of these.

Emily said...

Oh man, I have to make this! The bread looks delicious!

Catherine said...

Dear Marcellina, What a delicious bread!! I love the sandwich you created for this bread. BLT with a fried egg is always a winner. Blessings my dearest. Catherine xoxo

simple baking said...

Hey Marcellina,
Drop in at my space :). I have a surprise for you.

Faery said...

BEAUTIFUL!