Thursday, March 22, 2012

"A Baker's Odyssey" Personal Challenge # 8 Flaky Turkish Feta Turnovers


Guess what?
This is my 100th post!
Little did I realise when I decided to start a blog to post my Daring Baker's Challenge where this little pastime would take me. In this time I have made many online friends with similar interests, leanrt heaps of new techniques and enjoyed every minute. Now I have my own personal challenge as I bake my way through "A Baker's Odyssey" by Greg Patent. Hopefully I will soon be able to direct you to Greg's blog where you will be able to purchase your very own signed copy! How exciting it that!

This is a recipe I have been wanting to make since I bought "A Baker's Odyssey" by Greg Patent some time ago. From the "Savoury Pastries" chapter of the book these are described by Greg as "a savoury turnover with a tangy feta cheese filling enclosed in a tender flaky dough" and certainly the dough is the star of the show. This dough gets its delicious flakiness from a unique combination of yoghurt, olive oil and butter. Be sure to use a good feta cheese for this recipe - in Australia I like Dodoni. 
These turnovers, which also are known by the Turkish name "Puaca",  are a great finger food to have with drinks.

Flaky Turkish Feta Turnovers
Printable recipe
makes 30 turnovers

Dough
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, extra for kneading
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup olive oil
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup plain yoghurt
1 large egg

In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
In a medium bowl whick together the olive oil, melted butt, yoghurt and egg. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir well with a wooden spoon until it gathers into a mass. It will be a rather raggy dough.

Scrape the dough onto an unfloured work surface and knead briefly until it forms a cohesive mass. It will still want to break apart but don't be worried. Place the dough into a clip seal bag and let it rest a room temperature for 1 to 2 hours. The dough will relax and become supply and feel soft. You can also refrigerate the dough overnight ( which is what I did ). Bring the dough back to room temperature before using. 

Filling
10 ounces/285g feta cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped dill
2 large eggs

Crumble the feta into a bowl and mix in the dill and eggs.
Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.


Divide the dough into 30 equal pieces. Roll each into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. I used a small rolling pin to roll each ball into a round of about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.That's about 9cm in diameter for the metric minded. I rolled the dough out on silicone baking paper which made the whole process easier.
Place a generous teaspoonful of filling just below the centre of the dough circle. Fold the top half of the dough over the filling to form a half- moon shape. Firmly press the edges to seal.

 

Fold the edge of the dough over onto itself. Place the turnover onto a baking paper lined oven tray and continue with the remaining dough and filling. Brush with egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes. Rotate the oven trays halfway through to ensure even browning.


Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.


These delicious turnovers are best fresh but can be frozen when completely cool. Place in clip seal bags and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Thaw in the bags, then reheat in a warm oven (300F/150C).

These pastries are really rather moreish and I know  I will be preparing them regularly.
Another fabulous recipe from my favourite cookbook, "A Baker's Odyssey"! 

Ok. Now, did you notice? Anything new?
Nope?
Scroll up again.
See it?
Yep, that's right, Marcellina in Cucina now has "Printable Recipes".
This makes it a lot easier when you want a hard copy of a particular recipe.
Yes, it did take a while but now that I have figured it out I love it.
I hope you do, too!

5 comments:

Greg Patent said...

Marcellina, I want to reach into my computer screen and grab a pastry or two. They look so yummy.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Yea on this recipe and yea on the printable recipes. I would love to serve these as an appy at Easter.

Amalia said...

YUM! These looks delicious! Feta cheese is one of my favorites. My mom actually make something quite similar to this, the only difference is that she fries it. But either way, as long as it's warm, dough, with hot delicious feta in the middle, I'm good to go! And congratulations on your 100th post! That's so awesome :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

The Café Sucré Farine said...

These look fabulous! I love everything about them - they would definitely make a lovely dinner with a green salad - YUM!

Pegasuslegend said...

Awesome love it~