Monday, February 27, 2012

THE DARING BAKERS’ FEBRUARY, 2012 CHALLENGE: Quick! Gimme a Flavor!

The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lisa stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.

Quick Breads!
Who knew there were so many different types?
Lis gave us a few recipes but encouraged us to try out our own which saw the Daring Bakers truely break out with some amazing varieties of quick breads. 

 I had some buttermilk in the refrigerator that need to be used so I checked out some buttermilk quick bread and basically settled on this one which give 10 different variations. Of course, I had my own varieation which involved substituing 1/2 cup flour with 1/2 cup cocoa, increasing the sugar to 1 cup, increasing the butter to 4 ozs and adding choc chips.  


Then I topped the whole lot off with more choc chips and walnuts. I didn't mind it but lets say it doesn't beat my favourite chocolate cake recipe just yet!


With more buttermilk to use up - the same recipe in the blueberry and lemon varitation in a muffin was delicious!



These didn't last long!
Aren't muffins just the best quick bread!


OK, now for the piece de resistance!
POPOVERS!
Wow, I have never tried them but what a revelation. No rising agent what-so-ever yet this amazing rise takes place! 

Thanks Renata for directing me to this recipe!
We enjoyed popovers for breakfast with strawberry jam.
YUM!
Thanks Lis for hosting!

12 comments:

Renata said...

Marcellina, Thanks for your always sweet comment. Wow! what a trio of quick breads! The chocolate loaf is just scrumptious, the blueberry muffin looks perfect and the popovers are FABULOUS! May I ask if you used fresh or dried blueberries? I have a package of dried ones I want to use up but recipes usually call for fresh, but they're not very easy to find here.
Congrats on your always impeccable job on the challenge!

Audax said...

I agree with you popovers are great this is my first time baking them I loved them. The lemon and blueberry muffins look so moist and yummy. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

simple baking said...

Your popovers look good! and the choc chips and walnuts topping looks simply yummy and so inviting

Korena said...

Your blueberry lemon muffins look awesome. And those popovers!!!! Seeing yours on the forum was what pushed me tp try Renata's recipe. SO GOOD!!

Jennifurla said...

wow, do you have leftovers because I want to try them all!

shelley c. said...

Man, I could kick myself that I didn't try popovers - yours look outstanding! And that chocolate cake...er...bread looks SO good. Really amazing work on the challenge this month!!

Claudia said...

They all look wonderful - that
choco-holic bread would be happy in my kitchen. Can always go for a homemade blueberry muffin - and your popovers - oh my they sing.

Sandie said...

Everything looks great. The chocolate loaf is especially appetizing and your popovers really popped! Best, sandie

Jo said...

your chocolate loaf looks fantastic! Also loving the popovers, I need to get a pan and make some myself.

The Betz Family said...

Beautiful breads! I am drooling over the chocolate walnut loaf. And I think I am going to have to try popovers again after hearing so many people rave about them. Nice job on the challenge!

Carol Anne @ Rock Salt said...

Yum - these look great. I must try some popovers for myself!

chef_d said...

Wow, the chocolate loaf with walnuts and chocolate chips looks so delicious!