Friday, January 20, 2012

Steamed Pork Buns


Chinese New Year.

This year Chinese New Year falls on 23rd January.

Now, as most of you would know, you will mainly see sweet recipes on this blog with lots of Italian recipes thrown in. But I also like to dabble with recipes from other cultures. Steamed pork buns are one of my family's favourites. This adapted recipe come courtesy of the Australian food magazine Super Food Ideas. Whether it is a traditional recipe I'm not sure but what I do know is that it tastes really good!


The recipe calls for Chinese Barbecue Pork which occasionally I will make myself because it is not readily available where I live. However I have found simply slicing up the same quantity of pork tenderloin fillet, frying it off then adding the remaining ingredients is quite a good substitute.

Edited 21-01-2012: After reading Claudia's comment I realised I should link to a Chinese BBQ Pork recipe. I use this AWW recipe but there are lots of variations.
Cook and mix up the filling ingredients ahead of time so it has a chance to cool.

Prepare the dough according to the recipe, roll out and fill. See, easy!

Let the filled pork balls rest and rise.

Then steam and serve.
You can see how fluffy the crumb of the dough is, can't you!

I'm told the feast for Chinese New Year is held on the eve. For various reasons, I will be preparing Steamed Pork Buns on Monday.

 Join me and let me know what you think!

Steamed Pork Buns

Makes 16

1 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 tablespoons castor sugar
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self-raising flour
3 teaspoons butter, melted

Filling:
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon horsing sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
3 teaspoon cornflour mixed with 1 tablespoon water
250g Chinese Barbecue pork, finely slice (or fresh pork fillet as mentioned above)\
6 green onions, finely chopped

Combine yeast with 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl. Blend in 1 teaspoon each of sugar and flours. Cover. Stand in a warm place until frothy (about 15 minutes).
Sift remaining flour into a large bowl. Add remaining sugar, yeast mixture, water and butter. Mix to form a soft dough/ Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 3 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
Put dough in a large oiled bowl. Stand covered, for 1 hour or until doubled.

Prepare Filling:
Heat oil in a wok or pan. Stir fry ginger and garlic until aromatic. (At this point you can add and stir fry the fresh pork fillet, if using) Add sauces and oil. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Blend cornflour mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring until sauce thickens. remove from heat add in Barbecue pork (if using) and green onions.

Punch dough down. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. Divide into 16 equal pieces. Roll out each to make a 6 sm circle. Cover with a damp tea-towel. Working with one round at a time, place 2 teaspoons of mixture into the centre. Gather edges together. Pace each bun seam-side-down on a small square of baking paper. Cover with a tea-towel. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.

Half fill a work or saucepan with water (steamer should not touch the water). Bring to boil. Working in batches, arrange buns with paper in steamer basket. Cover with lid.Place over water. Steam for about 15 minutes, adding more boiling water as required.
Remover buns from steamer. If desired, snip top with scissors to resemble a star.
 Serve warm.
   

14 comments:

Claudia said...

I miss Chinese Pork - cannot get it here either and I have not found a successful recipe - yet. You may be my clue. These look utterly warming and welcoming and filled with cheer for the Chinese New Year.

Dana said...

Oh my! I want to make these so badly! I'm going to have to make Chinese BBQ pork first though...

Alda e Mariella said...

Che meraviglia, mi è venuta una fame!
Un abbraccio!

Mary said...

I can imagine how good these must taste. I always buy steamed buns when I visit our local market but have never made them at home. I have to remedy that. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Kathy said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog...so glad it brought me to your lovely blog. Those pork rolls look fantastic and your dough looks perfect! Glad to meet you!

Lizzy said...

Fabulous buns! And I'm off to check out the pork tenderloin recipe...it looks so yummy!

Thanks for your sweet words of condolence~

Alida said...

Wow bellissimo!I have never made anything like that before. I will put this recipe next on my list to do. It is always nice to try something new.
I like your blog.

Lisa said...

This is one of our favorite foods. I'll be keeping this recipe on hand for sure.

Lisa said...

Oh, how I love pork buns, but usually the baked kind. Yours look so moist and delicious, steamed, I may have to start reconsidering! What a great treat for the Lunar year!

Betty said...

che fame!!! complimenti!

At Anna's kitchen table said...

They look marvelous! I really must try making them..
Your blog is great :))

Anh said...

This is one of my favourite dishes! You have shaped them so well!

Amalia said...

Wow, these look amazing! That last picture looks crazy good, so fluffy and soft! And that bbq pork looks so delicious! This recipe is definitely a winner, great job :)

Linda said...

I've never attempted a dish like this before. The filling looks so delicious and I love how the dough looks so light!