Sunday, October 16, 2011

Making Mozzarella Cheese


Some time ago I spotted a cheese making kit at my local deli. Already having prepared ricotta using Mrs G's method, I was ready to move on in my cheese making endeavours but not ready to do it on my own. This kit was perfect. The Begininners' Italian Cheeses Kit by Mad Millie provided everything I needed to make macarpone, ricotta, ricotta salata and mozzarella.
   

This kit includes a thermometer and pipette (for measuring small quantities of liquid) which are required for subsequent kits.


You just need to obtain un-homogenized whole milk which can sometimes be difficult. I found a local brand from Misty Mountains Farms and I was set to make my own mozzarella cheese.


Calcium chloride is added to the milk which is then heated to 13C (55.5F) before mixing in diluted citric acid. This milk is then brought to a higher temperature of 32C (89.5F) and rennet is stirred in. After 30 minutes the curd forms and is cut and heated further to 42C (107.6F).


Once the correct temperature is reached the curds are scooped into a muslin lined colander and allowed to drip for 5 minutes.


Now the fun part! Put on a pair of rubber gloves and take a handful of curds. Place the curds in a bowl of 70C (158F) hot water for 20 seconds. Now, carefully stretch and fold the curd until it is smooth and flexible.


The balls of mozzarella are place into a bowl of icy salt water for 20 minutes and  then they are ready to eat!


The mozzarella is delicious fresh with red ripe tomatoes and basil but matured for a week in the refrigerator is wonderful on a pizza. Either way I'll be making this regularly.

14 comments:

Renata said...

I have always wanted to make my own cheese, it's so cool! I even have a book about homemade cheese. I tried making some here in Korea, but guess the milk is homogenized and it didn't work, but when I move back to Brazil I really want to try that. Yours looks perfect! And that plate of mozzarella with tomato and basil is just fabulous!

Dom at Belleau Kitchen said...

Wow how simple!! I always thought it would be really complicated. Looks amazing. I must try it myself as I LOVE mozzarella!

Jennifurla said...

wow, this makes eating even more special if you ask me.

Not Quite Nigella said...

Well done! :O I'd love to make my own mozzarella but I always thought it was difficult. But that kit and this post has convinced me otherwise :) The stretching does look fun!

Charlie Louie said...

Incredible. I have never even thought about making mozzarella myself. You have inspired me!

Catalina said...

Marcellina, you always surprise me with your great ideas!I'd have never thought of homemade mozzarella! And God, I love this cheese so much...You're so talented to make your own cheeses, must be so yummy!

rcakewalk said...

Beautiful, Marcellina! Making cheese is something I'd love to do - and I can find the non-homogenized milk. I feel like to do as much cheese as I would like, I need a good raw "milk source", which can be difficult to find these days, but I am inspired by you to at least try this mozzarella sometime soon!

Mary said...

That looks amazing, Marcellina! I have been wanting to make cheese for a while, and actually have a book about it right here. However, I haven't gone beyond ricotta, mascarpone and paneer yet. I really want to make this!
:)

Catherine said...

Dear Marcellina, I am very impressed at the beautiful mozzarella you made. It looks delicious. You have a very beautiful blog with many tasty and dishes. I hope that you will give my blog a visit too. Thank you and blessings, Catherine

Barbara Bakes said...

I make it sound so easy. It looks perfectly delicious!

Mary said...

The kit seems to have made this easier than I imagined it would be. I have to find one. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Cakelaw said...

Making your own cheese is fun - the best part is eating cheese you made yourself.

Simona said...

Nice job! I am glad you enjoyed the process and the result.

simple baking said...

Wow it looks so yum. I so want to make mozerella but i don't know how to get hold of rennet in India :(