Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dulce de Leche Brownies


Brownies.
Yes, everyone has been making them for years.  And loving them.
I instead have never found the recipe I love.

It was a case a bit like Goldilocks...
...too dry
... too sweet
...too nutty 
...too moist
...and so on.

Yeah, I'm fussy! None of the recipes really lived up to my expectations of what a brownie should be despite the huge quantities of delicious chocolate going into them.

Well, surprise, surprise! I tried this cocoa brownie often touted over the net when I need something quick to bring along to a picnic and guess what! It's brilliant! The flavour comes from cocoa. That is probably what I love. Now, don't use dutched cocoa. I really love the bitterness of natural cocoa and I think that is what makes these brownies so good.

In the words of Goldilocks....
..."aaah, this one is juuust right!"
And she ate them all up!

I have varied the original recipe by adding rum and subtituting the nuts for chocolate pieces.
For this variation I also added dulce de leche as a layer in the middle for my caramel loving nephew! They were a hit!

 Dulce de Leche is referred to in Australia as "caramel" and for many years we have been enjoying caramel tarts and slices or just eating it out of the can with a spoon. For the Dulce de Leche, in Australia you can use a can of Top Fill Caramel or simply boil a can of condensed milk for two hours completely submerged in a pot of water. Remember the part about "completely submerged" - there have been too many cans of condensed milk explosions during this process and it is not fun to clean off the ceiling! 

Dulce de Leche Brownies

140g unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa, sifted
salt
1 tablespoon rum
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup chocolate pieces/chips
380g dulce de leche

Preheat oven to 160C and line an 8 inch/20cm square pan with baking paper. Grease well with butter or non stick cooking spray.

Melt butter then add sugar,  cocoa and salt. Allow to cool a bit if really hot. Then add rum and eggs. Finally fold in flour and chocolate pieces/chips.

Now spread half them mixture into your prepared pan. Dollop spoonfuls of dulce de leche evenly across the batter. Top with the remaining batter making sure the dulce de leche is covered.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Really, I guess you should allow then to cool completely but a brownie is really at it's best gooey and warm even if it doesn't cut so cleanly.

If you should leave out the dulce de leche only bake your brownie for 20 to 25 minutes.


9 comments:

juliana said...

i just made dulce de leche brownies myself and they were sooooo good! the combination is a keeper!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

How can you do this to me? I have sworn to lose some weight - but these decadent brownies with that dulce de leche are making me weaken.

Chele said...

I am so pleased you have shared this recipe. I have just taken my own homemade dulce de leche off the stove and so now there is lots of the stuff that needs to be used up! I think this is the perfect excuse to make brownies ;0)

Chele said...

I am so pleased you have shared this recipe. I have just taken my own homemade dulce de leche off the stove and so now there is lots of the stuff that needs to be used up! I think this is the perfect excuse to make brownies ;0)

Pistachio and Rose said...

Wow what a great idea for a new brownie recipe, I will most definatly be trying that one, I adore dulch de leche and can think of a better place for it to be than in a brownie

Marcella said...

Accipicchia!!!! Golosissimi! Un attentato alla linea!
Bacioni
Marcella

Renata said...

I love dulce de leche and I love brownies, so I have to try this amazing combination. I usually make dulce de leche in a pressure cooker, it will be ready in about 45 minutes, and this is my favorite dulce de leche ever! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Kiara said...

Ciao Marcellina! Complimenti per il tuo splendido blog! E' meraviglioso! Ottimi poi questi brownie! Ne prendo uno... bacio e buona notte! :-)

la creatività e i suoi colori said...

E' un vero piacere aver incontrato il tuo blog. Congratulazioni per le ricette e a presto