Friday, May 27, 2011

THE DARING BAKERS MAY 2011 CHALLENGE: MARQUISE ON MERINGUE


The May 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Emma of CookCraftGrow and Jenny of Purple House Dirt. They chose to challenge everyone to make a Chocolate Marquise. The inspiration for this recipe comes from a dessert they prepared at a restaurant in Seattle.


Wow! How many of us know what a Marquise is? What is it supposed to be like?
 I don't.
Well, that is until now!

The May 2011 Daring Bakers' challenge initiated we Daring Bakers' into a world of restaurant quality desserts. A chocolate marquise consists of chocolate, eggs, heavy cream and sugar. Basic ingredients that form a rich decadent dessert. Combine this with other components such as toasted, marshmallow meringue, crunchy, spicy nuts and a tequila flavoured caramel sauce and you have a dessert any restaurant would be proud of.


When I first read through this recipe I again (as usual) considered not completing this challenge - too hard, too complicated, too many components and too many serves! Too many of everything. However regarding the serves, which reflects commercial restaurant quantities, fellow Daring Baker, Audax came to the rescue scaling down the recipe into half and quarter quantities. So, my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to tackle the challenge. I really did want to taste this chocolaty spicy combination and besides, I had a bottle of Tequila not doing too much in the pantry! 

I decided to mold the marquise in a cupcake paper and top with a swirl of meringue - so that the cute and sweet appearance belies the spiciness of the dessert ( I think the dried chilli would a dead giveaway, though!).  And while this recipe is detailed and has many components, I did find that each component  was not that difficult and can be prepared ahead. A blow torch is required for toasting the meringue however I don't own one though I plan to soon. Instead I piped the meringue onto silicone baking paper then popped them into a very hot oven for two or three minutes. I could then pick the shapes up and position them onto the chocolate marquise bases. 

I know you too will be curious and if you accept the challenge you can find the recipe here.  Even if you don't prepare the entire dessert do make the tequila caramel...mmm... I could it by the spoonful!


Thank you to our wonderful hosts Emma and Jenny for an amazing challenge. This is certainly a dessert I would never normally attempt!

26 comments:

EliFla said...

ciao cara, how are you?? What a wonderful recipe...brava...as always, hugs, Flavia

juliana said...

beautifull presentation! i love the way you manage the meringue part!
congrats!

Mary said...

Your take on the challenge looks amazing and sounds really interesting. Kudos. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Jennifurla said...

what a great recipe, lovely presentation too

Claudia said...

Congratulations on one gorgeous dessert. The different tastes and original ingredients are a wonderful break from the tried-and-true. Although knowing me, I would have given up! Love to come here and read why I shouldn't.

Bourbonnatrix said...

that cupcake idea is GENIUS! it really looks awesome! great job!

thefooddoctor said...

You cup cakes look heavenly!
it is such a wonderful presentation!
great job on this challenge

Rochelle (Acquired Life) said...

Gorgeous! I love the cupcake look to your Marquise and the chili pepper on top :D

shelley c. said...

I am so glad you decided not to sit this one out, because you did a beautiful job on this - I love the cupcake idea for it - it worked so well! Awesome work.

hailey said...

your marquise looks absolutely amazing! i love the plating :)

Nachiketa said...

What a lovely Marquise..... and fabulous plating :)
Chilli n Cherry in Chocolate Marquise on Lemon Meringue

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Ruth H. said...

Those cupcakes are absolutely adorable. I love the convenience as well as the "automatic portion control"!! Thank you for not sitting this one out. You do such fun, creative work, it is always a joy to see what you have done!

Ruth H. said...

Those cupcakes are absolutely adorable. I love the convenience as well as the "automatic portion control"!! Thank you for not sitting this one out. You do such fun, creative work, it is always a joy to see what you have done!

Catalina said...

This is the most beautiful served marquise I've seen so far! I love your idea of molding it in cupcake papers - it looks so cute :) Marcellina, well done! It's really spectacular!

Renata said...

What a wonderful take on the challenge, Marcellina! I loved the sauce that much too! Beautiful plating and thoughtful to use a pepper for decoration.

Sirius73 said...

Love the cupcake shape of your dessert :-)

chef_d said...

I love that you made them cupcakes! What a great idea. Excellent job on this challenge!

pragmaticattic said...

Nicely done! I used cupcake molds, too. Love how you used the meringue as a cupcake topping.

lo81 said...

Ciao Marcellina!! What a cute "cupcake"!!A great job!

crumbsoflove said...

Lovely marquise "cupcake", Marcellina! Did you eat the chili?:) Best, Sandie

Mary said...

Beautiful cupcakes, Marcellina, and I love the chili garnish on top! I wasn't sure about this one either, but I found it pretty irresistible. I didn't make the sauce, though, but I will have to now!

Karen | Citrus and Candy said...

Your 'cupcake' is to die for. I just wanna tuck in with a fork!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Just beautiful! I knew from the opening picture that you'd do something interesting and you sure did! Wonderful job Marcellina! :D

lisamichele said...

Gorgeous take on the challenge, Marcellina...I love the cupcake shape and the chili pepper on top is delightful. I would dip it in the Marquise and take a bite!

Simona said...

Goergeos dear Marcellina you go streight to my heart with this cup cake ..i'll do it tomorrowfor my birthday your new friend from Italy

Lori said...

I'd never heard of marquise before. Looks delicious. Can't wait to see your June challenge post!