Saturday, January 8, 2011

Coffee, Walnut and Amaretto Cake


Marcellina in Cucina welcomes 2011! This is going to be a great year! I haven't made any New Year's resolutions as I usually do but I know I don't need to. I have many goals that I know will be achieved this year. Have you made a New Year's resolution? If you have, I really hope it works for you. Goals and ambitions are what motivates us to be better people.
   
Here in Australia we are in holiday mode. This is our summer holidays. School is out for at least 6 weeks. Families take annual vacations. Factories and workshops take annual leave so not much can be done on the work front. Australia slows down a little and enjoys the sun, sea and surf.

It's times like this that we might have an impromtu get together to share a meal maybe a glass of wine or a icy cold beer. I still like to bake but something simple and delicious. This cake ticks all the boxes. I particularly love the topping of Amaretto flavoured mascarpone. So easy!

Coffee, Walnut and Amaretto Cake

1 cup (100g) walnuts
1/4 cup (20g) ground espresso coffee
150g butter
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup (60ml) Amaretto
3/4 cup (110g) self raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons Amaretto, extra
250g mascarpone
extra walnuts and/or coffee beans to decorate

Heat the over 180C. Grease a 20cm round pan and line the base with baking paper.
Process the walnuts and the coffee until finely ground.
Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the Amaretto. Mix in the walnut and coffee mixture. Sift together the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture and mix until just combined.
Spoon into prepare pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Remove from the oven and drizzle over 1 tablespoon Amaretto. Cool in pan. When cool remove from pan and place on serving plate. Mix remaining Amaretto with mascarpone and spread over the top of the cake. Decorate as desired. Chill the cake for 30 minutes before serving.

25 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks so pretty and yummy! A wonderful coffee cake!

Cheap Ethnic Eatz said...

Happy New year and happy holiday season too! That is a wonderful cake to celebrate this glorious time of the year, well for you I am in winter mode lol.

Taste of Beirut said...

Amaretto in a cake with these other flavors sounds like party time to me! Great looking cake!

Marcella said...

Hallo Marcy! This is a wonderful cake! Amaretto is a guarantee!
Vedi cara...ci veniamo incontro...un pò di inglese e un pò di italiano!
Baci e buona giornata

EliFla said...

Hi Marcellina....first of all..your Italian is very good!!! May you have a special happy new year and trehnks a lot for this delicious cake.... I copy it immediately, hugs, Flavia

Marcella said...

Thanks for the sweet words! No I don't speak well English :(
Kesses and baci

Not Quite Nigella said...

Ooh what I would do for a slice of that cake! I'm trying to eat healthier and being tempted by such coffee goodness is hard :P

Kris Ngoei said...

Happy new year, Marcellina!

This is a delicious cake that fits the holiday season everywhere around the world!

RCakeWalk said...

Looks like a delicious cake for the new year! Do you happen to know of a substitute for self-rising flour, the proportions to make it from scratch?

Chef Dennis said...

what a perfect cake to welcome the year with!! so many wonderful ingredients in that cake, I love the espresso and cocoa, now cut me off a big piece to have with my coffee please!
Dennis

Ciao Chow Linda said...

You're so right about ticking all the boxes. I love all those flavors, but together this is bliss.

Claudia said...

This is a cake packed with every flavor I adore - starting with the amaretto. Perfect for welcoming the New Year. And so different from all that I make. I will be sending the link to me (my version of bookmarking! - a reminder in my inbox). I often think of my Australian friends on summer vacation as I shiver through the winter!

Vivian Cardinale said...

This looks divine! I am going to have to try making it...my New Year's resolution is to eat more dessert!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Hey Happy new year to ya too , let it be ur best year yet!
Oh yeah , as long as we have a happy here with all in place and happy , no resolutions needed:-)
This coffee cake sure is wonderful and the addition of espresso makes it even better!
Happy day to ya!

Sue said...

What a delicious cake!

I hope you are safe!

Mary said...

It sounds delicious, and perfect any time of year (or day). I love mascarpone and Amaretto, so that topping sounds amazing. Enjoy the holidays, and catch a bit of sunshine for me--it's a bit too cold to appreciate it for long here!

E.K.R said...

mmmm sounds amazing! Amaretto and mascarpone cheese? How decacent and delicious. Enjoy your holidays and Happy New Year to you and your family.

Marcella said...

Hi Marcellina. I have known about the flood from the tv. I have worried for you!
Come stai? Fammi sapere sono preoccupata!
Baci
Marcella

Lisa said...

This is a lovely looking cake. Have a great holiday break.

Marcella said...

Meno male!!
BAci

Catalina said...

Sounds so delicious! I love mascarpone and with the addition of amaretto and coffee I start thinking about tiramisu :D This must be really very good & tasty :)

Julia @Mélanger said...

What a delicious sounding cake. Must try this!

Are you okay with all the flooding here in QLD?

Pam said...

What a great cake. It sounds delicious with the walnuts and amaretto! I'm so glad to find your blog and will be following for more great recipes!

lisamichele said...

Another Happy New Year to you after seeing this luscious cake! Amaretto always catches my eye and tastebuds when there's a cake that contains it. I don't drink, but the flavor it lends is more 'almondy' than pure almonds. Love it paired with the mascarpone for the topping! Very beautiful!

mangocheeks said...

Happy New Year Marcellina.
Such a beautiful cake. I've only had amaretto once, would love a slice of this cake.