Monday, January 17, 2011

Chilli Mud Crab


At the moment the southern part of Queensland is cleaning up and recovering from the most devasting floods for many years. An area said to be the size of France and Germany put together has been affected. Lives have been lost and still more are missing.We watched our television in horror as cars were overturned and swept away by the flash flood, trees bent and twisted as if they were toothpicks and steel and concrete structures destroyed. A flood relief appeal was immediately set up to help the many Queenslanders left homeless by the force of Mother Nature.  The bad weather and floods have now moved  further south and are now affecting New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania while bush fires have raged in Western Australia. Such is the land "down under" that we call home, Australia. A land of extreme diversities.


Many dear friends have asked about mine and my family's welfare and for that I thank you for your care and concern. But even though I live in Queensland, we are over 1000km north of the disasterous floods and are enjoying our tropical North Queensland lifestyle. 
Relaxing on the beach, fishing and eating good food are what our lifestyle is all about. Recently my husband and son brought home a wonderful catch of three, glorious mudcrabs. Mudcrabs (scylla serrata)  have a wonderful, delicate, sweet meat. Usually, we simply boil or steam the crabs and pick out the meat to be enjoyed with an olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing.  But this time I tried this recipe with great results!  


Mudcrabs are large crabs with a found in the northern tropical to temperate waters of Australia. They inhabit sheltered estuaries, tidal reaches of some rivers mud flats and mangrove forests. Crabs favour the soft muddy bottom. Their  two hind legs are flattened for swimming. But the two front nippers are large and strong for crushing and cutting their prey.



Now onto the recipe! It may seems a lot of work but I promise you it's worth it! 

Once you have your live mudcrabs  (2 or 3 crabs for four people is about right) you will need to clean and prepare them for cooking. Kill them by placing in the freezer for an hour or two. Then you are ready to clean them. 

1.Clean the outside of the mud crab with a brush under running water.

2.If you want to keep the top shell to place back on the crab when you plate it up, lift the flap on it's belly and pull the top shell from the back of the crab forward, then halve the crab with a knife.
(You can cook the top shell in with the rest of the crab)

4.Remove the guts and feathery lungs from the body.

5.Brush out any muck from the inside of the crab.

6.Crack the shells of each portion before cooking to let the flavors in (one tap on each with a knife sharpening steel will do the trick). You can cut each half in half again quartering the crab - if that makes sense!



 Now the fun stuff! Warm up a wok with a few spoonfuls of canola oil,  2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic, 2 teaspoons grated ginger and chilli. The chilli is up to you, your taste and the strength of your chilli. I used 8 of my home grown, dried chillis, ground up finely. When the aromatics are letting you know how great they smell, toss in the portioned crab.  Stir fry until the crab is starting to change colour but don't allow the garlic is burn.

Toss through 1 finely sliced, red capsicum.

At this point it is time to add in the ingredients which will become the sauce.
 Puree a 400g tin tomatoes, mix with 3 tablespoons black bean sauce, 4 tablespoons soy sauce and 4 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce. Pour over the crab and stir through.


Add 2 tablespoons sherry, 2 tablespoon white vinegar and 2 tablespoons grated palm sugar. ( You can also use brown sugar)


Stir through 140ml coconut cream and allow to simmer absorbing the flavourful sauce until the crab has completely changed colour and is tender and cooked.  Toss through a handful of sliced, spring onions.


Arrange on a deep platter of steamed jasmine rice placing the pieces in the appropriate position to reassemble the crab crowning it with the top shell! Sprinkle with another handful on sliced, spring onions.
Provide plenty of napkins and enjoy with a salad!

15 comments:

Marcella said...

Hai ragione è stato un vero disastro! Adesso bisogna rimboccarsi le maniche...
This mud crub is wonderfull! But I never heat one! I am very curious to taste!
Kisses

Trisha said...

I love crab. This looks mouth wateringly delicious!

EliFla said...

I watched on tv about distaster in Australia...

This recipe looks gorgeous


I wait you to join to my "romantic" contest...come on...I invite even your friends, hugs, ciao Flavia

Claudia said...

I am glad you are far from the flooding but my heart does ache for those affected. I look at the delectable crab and dream. No crabs in MN. They just dont't swim in lakes. I do love their sweet meat.

Jennifurla said...

Wow, great meal. I ope for a Quick recovery!

Julia @Mélanger said...

Very sad about the flooding, but the city is picking itself up quickly. For me, the volunteering effort has been more amazing than the floods themselves. I can't believe how much everyone is pitching in.

Love this delicious looking dish. I've never cooked crab before but would love to give it a go!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

How tragic for all those people affected. You are fortunate to have been on higher ground. I've never seen or heard of these crabs but they are enormous - and that recipe with the coconut cream has me drooling.

bakeinparis said...

Crab is my favorite seafood. It is extremely difficult to find here in Bangkok and also very expensive. Having saying that, your photos just make me drool :-)

Lisa said...

Wow, fresh crabs, what a treat! I love crabmeat but don't get to eat it as often as I'd like.

Jackie said...

I love crab! Yours looks so fresh. I need to make this dish!

Jackie at PhamFatale.com

Angie's Recipes said...

wow wow...I love fresh crabs..actually can't remember when I actually had some...yours seriously makes me crave for some real good seafood meal.

Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm glad to hear that you guys are ok! And this crab dish looks incredible. I am such a crab fanatic. It was just Mr NQN and I and some crab on NYE :P

Marcella said...

Marcellina grazie per essere passata da me! La passione pe la cucina mi è nata anche dall'esigenza di distrarmi un pò dal lavoro. In genere lavoravo quasi 12 ore al giorno e ad un certo punto mi sono resa conto che le mie giornate erano fatte di: sveglia, colazione, lavoro, pranzo,lavoro, lavoro, cena, letto!! Stavo impazzendo! Come riesco a conciliare tutto? Faccio tutte queste cose e inserisco la cucina tra la cena e il letto! La sera torno a casa e mi metto a pasticciare e mi rilasso e sono felice per questo! Inolre, come hai avuto modo di capire io vivo ancora con i miei e nel weekend butto mia madre fuori dalla cucina e mi diverto!!!
Baci e a presto

Casalbordino said...

I also cook and eat crabs. Ours are called Blue Claws. Makes delicious sauce.
Saluti e a presto.

Catherine said...

Sounds delicious and looks very good too!
You have a lovely blog.
Cheers, Catherine~