Friday, December 17, 2010

Week 12 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Date Shells


In one week it will be Christmas Eve. All around the world children will be tucked up in bed trembling with  anticipation of the arrival of Santa Claus. Christians of all nationalities will be preparing to celebrate the birth of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. This is a time that never fails to bring wonder, faith and togetherness for many.

Today also marks the final week in the Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies that I have been participating in for the past 3 months. In this time I have come to know and enjoy many wonderful blogs and learnt many new recipes for interesting cookies. Thank you to all who have participated and visited my blog while I have been able to  also discover yours. We have had so much fun!

So for the final cookie I chose another old Australian favourite - Date Shells.  They are simple but delicious with the whole dried date in the centre. What I love about them is that the pastry is wrapped around the date to resemble a "babe in swadling clothes" - baby Jesus. It is because of this that I think they are perfect for Christmas. Don't you?   


Date Shells

125g butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
approx 240g dried dates

Beat the butter and sugar to a cream. Add the egg and cinnamon. Sift the flours and add gradually to the mixture. Mix to a stiff paste. Wrap in plastic. Rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Roll out to 3 mm thickness cut into small rounds according to the size of your dates. Fold over with a date between. Bake 170C for 10 minutes.
When cool dust with icing sugar.


Week 12 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

16 comments:

Trisha said...

I love these... I made them last yr and will make them this yr as well. I love the way your Date Shells look. I make mine a little different. Maybe I'll try this look this time around!

Pam said...

These look incredible - so lovely and delicious! I have had so much fun baking along with you all of these weeks!

Tracy said...

These look amazing! It has been great baking along with you this year! Happy Holidays!

Sue said...

I love your unique Christmas cookies and what they represent:) What a wonderful cookie! I really want to try making them! Merry Christmas!

Renata said...

Oh Marcellina, these sound so delicious... just yesterday I was at the market and looked at a package of dates and wondered what I could do with them... here you are! I might give these beauties a go!

Steph said...

These look like little presents! I'm a date freak, so these sound delish!!

Mickey said...

They are perfect for Christmas. I've enjoyed all of your cookies these past 12 weeks.
mickey

Anncoo said...

These are cute cookies, I love it!
Nice to know you and Merry Christmas :)

Beth said...

What beautiful cookies! I can never complain about not having any new cookie recipes now!

Catalina said...

I've never heard about these, but they do look uterly delicious. To be honest I don't like dried dates on their own, but I love them when they're baked in something so I may try it next Christmas :)
I wish you a merry Christmas and I'm looking for all your other yummy recipes :)

crustabakes said...

I am guessing it must have taken some patience to shape each one of them. But they look spectacular!

Foodessa said...

These look and sound right up my Holiday Baking alley. I'm thrilled to have found this interesting and festive cookie with dates.
Can't wait to start baking ;o)

Happy Holidays and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Katie Rose said...

These look so tasty, I love the imagery with the swaddling clothes!

Martha (MM) said...

These look scrumptious! :-)

Manu said...

I had so much fun baking along in 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies! It was amazing to know all of you, and learn a lot of new recipes!
I love to learn other culture recipes, and this Australian's cookies look amazing! They'll look great at Chritmas Tray not just because they are good looking but also because they are delicious!

Taste of Beirut said...

These date shells are new to me; being such a date lover, I am intrigued by them and want to try them! there is a Lebanese version of these, covered in a shortbread dough that I love, and I am sure I would love these just as much.