Saturday, December 11, 2010

Week 11 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Rum Balls


Well, this week I'm a bit late in posting my contribution for the Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies. As we approach Christmas life just seems to pick up speed. It doesn't help that my son has a birthday 2 weeks before Christmas and my daughter's birthday is 3 weeks after Christmas. I always say I will be more organised so that I can enjoy this time and reflect the real reason for the season - Jesus. Life does become fast and complicated but our family and our faith is really what is important. 

So this week I didn't make the cookie I had planned but instead I will give you an old Australian favourite - The Rum Ball!  Rum Balls make an appearance at most celebrations and definitely at Christmas. Easy to make, can be prepared in advanced, can be frozen for longer storage and delightful to eat! I always make a double batch and though these were for afternoon tea to celebrate my son's birthday I know I will need more for Christmas.

Rum Balls

375g can sweetened condensed milk
250g plain sweet biscuits ( cookies ), finely crushed
2 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup coconut
3 tablespoons dark rum ( I like Jamaican Rum)
1/2 cup dried milk powder
extra coconut for rolling

( keep in mind the Australian tablespoon is equal to 20ml)

Combine all ingredients well. Refrigerate for an hour or two until firm. Take rounded teaspoons of the mixture. Form into balls and roll in coconut. 

YUM!    
Week 11 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

15 comments:

Megan said...

I've mae port balls but never rum balls. I like the look of them rolled in the coconut!

Tracy said...

These look delicious! Mmmm, makes me want to make some this afternoon!

Sue said...

Very pretty rum balls. Have fun with the birthdays(mine is tomorrow:))!

Catalina said...

I love rum balls. They're well-known in my country, too, and we make them every year at Christmas, too :) However, I've never had them with cocoa powder, so I'll give it a try :)
Love your photo!

Esme said...

I love rum balls-thank you for the recipe.

Jerri said...

I have an aunt that makes these too. Yours look really good!

I'm hosting a Christmas Recipe party on Thursday (with prizes). Hope you can stop by!

Manu said...

These balls look so yummy!!! And is perfect to serve at Christmas party!
Nice to learn a favourite Australian recipe!
Have a wonderful week!

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

Rum Balls! The classic Christmas treat! It just isn't Xmas if rum balls aren't on the table.

I put my tree up today and I'm starting to get excited!!

Merry Christmas :)

Beth said...

Life is busy even without birthdays to celebrate. How do you do it?

Kris Ngoei said...

Have put up Christmas tree since the beginning of the month, so the Christmas vibe is sure strong at home. However, these rum balls would set us into the Christmas mood much sooner, such a great festive treat :-)

Jacqueline said...

I am following you back! Thanks for following me.

All of your Christmas cookies have looked wonderful. I noticed the chocolate cherry balls last week too. Have you been able to put any aside or have they all gotten eaten? We have eaten all of ours so far! Have a wonderful Christmas.

lisamichele said...

I never used to like the flavor of rum in my desserts - or any alcohol for that matter, but last year I actually had a rum ball, and wow, boy did I miss out! Yours look fantastic, and I definitely want to try them for this Xmas!

Deeba PAB said...

What a great cookie, er ball. I love the idea, and non baked makes them super easy & fast track. YUM!!

Mary said...

I love rum balls and am always looking for a recipe. I can't wait till school's out so I can get in the kitchen!

Chef Dennis said...

I can't believe its week 12, wow...its almost Christmas. Thank you so much for all the wonderful cookies you made!
Cheers
Dennis