Friday, November 26, 2010

Week 9 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Spicy Hazelnut Fingers


This week I was looking for something spicy as we are fast approaching Christmas and I think I found just the thing in these Spicy Hazelnut Fingers by a  great Australian chef Stephanie Alexander in her book "The Cook's Companion". What fun I am having with this Christmas Cookies challenge seeking out and trying new recipes.  How sad it will be when it is all over! But let's not worry about that and instead why don't you whip up a batch of these delicious cookies and be part of the fun. The original recipe called for 60g candied peel, finely chopped which I don't keep on hand because I really don't like it but if that's your taste add it in. It would enhance the lemon icing, I'm sure.

I used my newly purchased silicone baking mats which made lifting the cookies a breeze. Be sure to use silicone coated baking paper if you don't own the mats which will ensure you cookies lift in one piece. I pipe the cookies using a disposable piping bag with the end cut off the appropriate amount. Each cookie was about 5 cm long by about 1.5cm wide. This gave me 55 cookies. Plenty for everyone to enjoy!


Spicy Hazelnut Fingers

adapted from The Cook's Companion by Stephanie Alexander

2 eggs
200g castor sugar
few drops of pure vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
180g ground almonds
120g ground hazelnuts
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup pure icing sugar
juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 140C and line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Beat eggs, castor sugar and vanilla until pale and thick. Fold in cinnamon, nuts and baking powder. Using a plain nozzle, pipe mixture in figers onto baking trays. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Mix icing sugar with drops of lemon juice until you have a thinnish mixture. Dribble icing over biscuits as soon as they come from the oven. 

Below you can find recipes from all the other wonderful bakers sharing their favourite Christmas Cookies!
Week 9 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

8 comments:

crustabakes said...

i am starting to miss 12WOCC even before it ends. LOL. these cookies look delicious, i love the frosting on it!

Renata said...

Hmmmm, these look absolutely delicious! AND so beautiful!

Manu said...

I'm also having a lot of fun with 12 Weeks Cookies Chalenge! It's awesome to try new recipes, take a look at all these blogs full with goodies and make friends!
Love your recipe! I'll keep it and make it soon!

Julia @Mélanger said...

I have this book and not noticed this recipe. She's great isn't she. These look lovely!

Sue said...

These sound so good with the ground nuts...I bet the flavor's great!

Katie Rose said...

We will have to come up with some other challenge when this is over, it looks like several people are looking forward to it. These look like they would be incredible alongside a hot cup of tea, I will have to try them!

Tracy said...

I will miss this baking group as well! I have had so much fun baking cookies and "meeting" everyone. :) Your cookies look beautiful as usual, Marcellina!

Lisa said...

I love spicy cookies and the hazelnuts sound like a fantastic flavor. I'm going to miss baking along with everyone as well. Hopefully, there'll be a way to continue on.