Saturday, November 20, 2010

Week 8 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Apricot Almond Crescents


Don't you wish there was a rule that all cookbooks should have a picture for every recipe? Have you ever looked at recipe that has no picture to go along with it and  imagined how it would look and taste? Does it live up to your expectations or do you feel as if you a stumbling around in the dark? Some recipes are straight forward and you know what is expected but others especially if not written well are a little hard to follow. For the first time this week I was a little let down by an Australia Women's Weekly recipe. I know...shock... horror... we Australians would never think the "Weekly" would let us down.
Let me explain. I had been wanting to make this recipe for some time and had jotted it down as a "to-try" recipe. This original recipe called  for an almond dough filled with prunes and plum jam. However for my version, I substituted dried apricots and apricot jam. Once the dough is prepared the instructions state "Divide dough in half. Roll each half between sheets of baking paper until large enough to be cut into 22 cm circle". "Cut each round into eight wedges". That's 16 wedges, right? But the recipe states it make 28. Well, I couldn't figure out how this was going to work. So, each circle was cut into 12 wedges and 24 cookies were made. I was disappointed that the instructions were not clear and the cold pastry really had trouble rolling into nice crescent shapes. However, I am pleased with the flavour and would make them again.   Actually next time I would like to cut them into only eight wedges and make larger cookies which I think would make a great breakfast with coffee. This is wonderful cookie with a tart flavour of the apricots and a hint of lemon in the pastry. Certainly a great addition to the Christmas table. 

The cream cheese in the dough give great results.


Apricot and Almond Crescents

225g plain flour
60g almond meal
55g castor sugar
2 teaspoon lemon rind
90g cream cheese
90g butter, chopped coarsely
2 tablespoon milk
1 egg white
20g flaked or slivered almonds

Filling
60g dried apricots
80g apricot jam
55g castor sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Process flour, almond meal, sugar and rind until combined. Add cream cheese and butter, pulse until crumbly. Add milk, process until ingredients come together.
Knead the dough lightly on floured surface until smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll each half between sheets of baking paper until large enough to be cut into 22cm rounds. (Use a plate or a cake pan for this). Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking trays with baking paper.
 Make filling by combining ingredients in a small bowl.
Cut each round into 12 edges, spread with filling, roll from the wide end into crescents. Place on oven trays, brush with egg white, sprinkle with nuts.
Bake crescents 25 minutes. Cool on trays.
  

I hope you enjoy these and all the Christmas Cookies my fellow bloggers have come up with this week for the Twelve Weeks of Christmas Challenge! Check them out below!


Week 8 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Those really look flaky and toothsome. Their crescent shape makes them look so fancy too.

Katie Rose said...

Yes! Every recipe should have an accompanying picture! I hate it when they don't, which is why I like to read blogs, they have the pictures included so I have an idea of what to expect. That's also why I have a recipe program on my computer, every recipe has a photo. It's much easier to browse for my meal plan that way.

I'm not certain from what you wrote above, what exactly were you unsatisfied with regarding this recipe? The assembly?

Tracy said...

I agree with you, every recipe should have a picture accompanying it. I think it makes the cookbook much easier to read! The cookies look great, the crescent shape is very beautiful.

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds similar to rugelach but a different texture. They do look delicious!

Lisa said...

I agree about the picture. It's hard to make something if you don't know what it's supposed to look like. But these turned out great! They look so good!

shaz said...

Definitely agree about pictures, although I own very many tome-like cookbooks with almost NO pictures at all :) But then there are cookbooks I bought specifically because of the pictures. These cookies look great and I could definitely see myself eating some for breakfast.

Tracy said...

These look wonderful! And I agree, cookbooks should have a photo of every recipe!

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

I also agree with the pictures! These cookies look great, nice to see something a little different to the typical cookie.

Sue said...

These look wonderfully delicious! I even have homemade apricot jam and I love almond!