Friday, November 12, 2010

Week 7 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Almond and Macadamia Shortbread


Shortbread is always popular in Australia for Christmas and there are many varieties that can be purchased at supermarkets and speciality stores but for the best variety you can't go past homemade shortbread. I love buttery shortbread at any time of the year and this is a particularly good recipe combining rich shortbread with the crunch of nuts. I have used a combination of almonds and macadamias because that is what I had on hand but any type of nut would work. Be sure to toast lightly in the oven to bring out the flavour of the nuts and do not have the nuts chopped too finely.

Almond and Macadamia Shortbread
(makes 45 cookies)

250g unsalted butter
110g castor sugar (superfine)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
100g almonds, slivered
100g macadamias, coarsely chopped
300g plain flour

Heat the oven to 170C and line oven trays with baking paper.
Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and creamy. Mix in nuts and sifted flour. 
Take heaped teaspoonfuls and place 3cm apart on the lined oven trays.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on racks.
Dust with icing sugar to serve.

Check out the links below for some great Christmas Cookie ideas!

Week 7 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

18 comments:

Manu said...

I can feel this shortbread melting in my mouth! This nut combination is perfect, I love macadamias and almonds!
Have a nice weekend! :D

Katie Rose said...

mmm, I recently discovered that love shortbread, these look great!

Megan said...

Nothing like a good shortbread this time of year - well, anytime is good!

Tracy said...

Yum, I love shortbread! Looks absolutely wonderful. :)

Sue said...

I love shortbread and with roasted(so much better roasted!)nuts I bet these are divine! :)

Pattie T. said...

Shortbread is one of my favorites. These look delicious.

Ago said...

Deliciousss!!! i love all your last recipes Marcellina! :-D
I have to try shortbread, they looks yummy!!!! :-D

Pam said...

You can't go wrong with shortbread, and then add macadamias? Delicious!

Lisa said...

My family loves macadamia nut shortbread. It's always a classic in Hawaii where I'm from.

Dajana said...

I really like when toasted nuts are added to cookies and any other recipe, because they really add some special flavour. I love shortbread.

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

Couldn't think of a better nut to go with shortbread, looks like the perfect Christmas cookie!

lisamichele said...

Macadamias are THE BEST in cookies and love that they're paired with almonds in a shortbread. They look simply scrumptious!

shewhisks said...

These cookies look gorgeous! I love all types of shortbread, think its the crumbly, rich texture and taste.

Marcellina, I cant find your email address anywhere here, wanted to send an email. Can you email me on whiskwhiskwhisk@hotmail.co.uk so I have your email add. Ta xx

Julia @Mélanger said...

Delicious. Shortbread is one of my favourites. So perfect for Christmas, as you say.

Beth said...

Shortbread is wonderful! Yours looks great.

Cakelaw said...

Gotta love shortbread - especially with nuts.

trissalicious.com said...

A buttery shortbread is made so much better with macadamia nuts! I love the Christmas cookies you've been making.

Renata said...

Love these wonderful cookies!

Marcellina, you know how much I enjoy reading your blog, so I chose it as one of my favorites to grant an Award. Please visit my blog and find out all about it here: http://tiny.cc/3tx7l
Hope you like it.
Renata