Saturday, November 6, 2010

Week 6 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies- Fudgy Choc-Cherry Cookies


Here we are half way through Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies. If you've come along on the ride with us you will know what a wonderful variety of cookies my fellow bakers have come up with. There is a cookie for everyone and we have 6 more weeks to go. By Christmas no one will be stuck for ideas. Easy cookies, a-little-bit-complicated cookies, chocolate cookies, nut cookies, sugar cookies, coffee cookies, cookies for foreign lands.... the list goes on.

 Today my cookies falls into the "easy" cookie category. These cookies are chewy and fudgy full of decadence - perfect for Christmas entertaining.  The degree of "fudginess" is determined by the oven temperature and cooking time. You may want to only bake a few at first then if you want them more gooey bake them at 150C/170C or reduce the cooking time. Try them and see how wonderful they are.

Fudgy Choc-Cherry Cookies
adapted from "Bake" by the Australian Womens Weekly


250g butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
165g castor sugar
165g brown sugar
1 egg
300g flour
25g cocoa
1 teaspoon bi carbonated soda powder
25g shredded coconut
80g glace cherries
200g dark eating chocolate, coarsely chopped
200g roasted hazelnut milk chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 180C and line trays with baking paper.
Beat together butter, sugars, vanilla and egg until smooth and creamy. Mix in sifted flour, cocoa and bicarbonated soda. Stir in coconut cherries and both chocolates.
Roll tablespoons of dough into balls, place about 5 cm apart on trays, flatten slightly.
Bake biscuits about 12 minutes. Cool on trays.

   


Week 6 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

13 comments:

Katie Rose said...

Ooh, these look so fudgey and chocolatey! I love coconut and cherries, but never had them together, interesting. (What exactly is glace cherries?)

Moogie said...

Yum.... chocolate. I'll add this recipe to my to-do list.

Sue said...

These look ooey, gooey, chocolatey delicious! Roasted hazelnut milk chocolate added sounds fabulous!

Marcellina said...

Thank you all for your kind comments! Katie Rose, glace` cherries is the Australian (maybe English) term for candied cherries. This combination mimics the well loved Aussie chocolate bar "Cherry Ripe".

Lisa said...

Love the pic of those cookies with those ruby like cherries gleaming out of them. These remind of me of the black forest cake that I love so much.

Beth said...

After reading this recipe, I'm definitely not stuck for ideas! Bookmarked!

Jamie said...

Mmmm. Love the chocolate cookies but even better with the cherries, coconut and hazelnut chocolate. Perfect!

shaz said...

Oh yes! You said the magic words for me, glace cherries. I know a lot of people dislike them and think they're too sweet, but they're something I really adore, I think I'm going to bake this on the weekend :) Is it really only 6 weeks to Christmas? eeek!

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

These look divine! You don't often see glace cherries in baked cookies, perfect for Christmas!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love chocolate and cherries. It sounds fabulous!

Julia @Mélanger said...

What a list of cookies!!!

Catalina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catalina said...

I've just made them (I can smell chocolate all over my flat :D) and they're absolutely fantastic! Thank you for such a great and utterly delicious recipe :) However, I used dutch cocoa powder (I couln't find the normal one) so mine are a bit darker :) I also post the recipe on my blog (and there's link back to you of course :)), hope you don't mind.