Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Favourite Way To Eat Homemade Pita Bread



Back in October I made Lebanese Pita and said I would follow with a post of my favourite filling.

 Well.... finally...here it is!

Life just got in the way of posting this favourite of mine. 
On a sheet of baking paper lay a soft and fluffy, homemade pita. Ok, if you haven't got around to making them you can use the store bought variety - just warm it through because they aren't as soft. Now top with some crispy lettuce, ripe red, vine ripened tomatoes and a few thin slices of red onion.      



Prepare a good Tzatziki - try this one by George Calombaris.

1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and grated
400g thick Greek-style yoghurt
3 cloves garlic, roasted and pureed
30ml white vinegar
40 extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon dill, shredded
salt to taste

Sprinkle the cucumber with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Leave grated cucumber overnight (or at least a few hours) in colander to extract excess juices.
Place yoghurt, garlic, vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and dill into a large bowl.
 Squeeze liquid from cucumber and add to yoghurt.
Mix well and season to taste.

Dollop over salad ingredients.


Have grilling some succulent marinated chicken thigh kebabs.
This is the marinade I use - again from George.

100ml white wine
250ml  olive oil
juice and zest of 2 lemons
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds, crushed
1 teaspoons toasted coriander seeds, crushed

Topped the Tzatziki with the Chicken kebab and remove the skewer.
  

Roll up using the paper to secure it all together and tuck in! 
I know you will enjoy it as much as I do!


6 comments:

Moogie said...

Wow.... this looks fabulous.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm sure this would be my favorite way to eat homemade pita bread too! My family would love this one.

Kris Ngoei said...

Love the marinate recipe, thanks to you and George! Your pita bread, anytime :-)

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Beth said...

What a wonderful recipe. You are making my mouth water!

Anonymous said...

How long do you marinate the chicken for?

Marcellina In Cucina said...

Hi Anon, marinate for as long as you have time for. If you are really organised, overnight is great. But I usually only marinate for an hour or two.