Friday, October 29, 2010

Week 5 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Lemon Glazed Christmas Wreath Cookies!


This week in Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies I am presenting a gorgeous tangy lemon cookie! As good as these are on a plate they would be wonderful tied to the tree with festive ribbon! These can be a little tricky to twist at first and shape into a wreath but a little patience and refrigeration of the dough certainly helps! I hope you enjoy these elegant cookies!


Lemon-glazed Christmas Wreath Cookies
(adapted from Australian Women Weekly COOK)

Makes 40

450g self raising flour
125g butter, chopped coarsely
60ml milk
110g caster sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind

Lemon Icing
480g icing sugar (powdered sugar)
lemon juice

Preheat oven to 180C. Line trays with baking paper.
Combine sugar and milk in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves.Add extract and cool for 5 minutes.
While you are waiting sift the flour and rub in the butter. I did this in the food processor. Stir in the warm milk mixture and the egg into the flour mixture.
Knead lightly until smooth.
Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Roll small teaspoons of dough into 13 cm sausages. Twist two sausages together, form into circles press edges together. Place 3 cm apart on oven trays. Bake 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
 Meanwhile make the lemon icing. Sift the sugar into small heatproof bowl, stir in enough juice to make a firm paste. Stir over small saucepan of simmering water until pourable. Add more lemon juice if required.
Dip the tops of the cookies into the icing; set at room temperature.




Check out my fellow Christmas Cookie Bakers!
Week 5 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

21 comments:

Trisha said...

These are so pretty. It'll be fun to dress them up with a little royal icing as well!!!

Lisa said...

What beautiful little cookies with the perfect Christmas shape.

Bethie said...

What a perfect Christmas cookie! Those look so tasty.

Pam said...

What a great cookie - simple in ingredients and so elegant looking!

April said...

They are gorgeous!

Dajana said...

They're absolutely adorable and perfect Christmas cookies, if you add a few pieces of chopped candied fruit on top of the icing they'll really look like little Christmas wreaths

Manu said...

I love the idea of tying them to the tree with festive ribbon!
So beautiful!

Steph said...

Wow! These cookies look fabulous!!

Megan said...

I love this little cookie and i agree, how cute it would be on the tree. I also love the refreshing flavor of lemon in the winter!

Tracy said...

So pretty and I think they would be lovely hanging from the tree. :)

Louanne said...

These look and sound delicious, as well as being so pretty and dainty.

Avril said...

I just love this beautiful cookies!!! And the idea of making the cookies into a wreath is precious!

Happy Weekend!
~avril :-)

Sue said...

This is a beautiful, Christmasy cookie!

Megan said...

We love lemon cookies, and the shape is so festive - especially if they are tied to the tree.

crustabakes said...

Wow,that must have taken a whole lotta patience to shape each of those cookies and glaze them. Great job though.They look delish, not to mention pretty too!

Susan: My Food Obsession said...

WOW! These look Amazing!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love a delicious lemon cookie and these are beautiful as well.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh ur cookies are oh so pretty!!

shaz said...

Very beautiful Marcellina, this is another one I'd like to make. Lemon is such a great flavour for our Christmas season :)

Mary said...

Very pretty cookies! I would love to have one with you, and a cup of tea. I spent Christmas a few years ago in Kuranda, Cairns and Townsville. We also visited Dimbulah, where my friend is from. Not sure if that's exactly your neck of the woods, but I'd love to come back again some day.
p.s. I think churros are made with pate a choux. mmm

Claudia said...

I thought I'd met every Christmas cookie ever made. Not true! (Lasy year I did 24 days of Italian Christmas cookies - the family collectively gained ten pounds - I think the cat and dog gained a few ounces also.) These are new to me, so sweet with a little tang and I shall be making them.