Friday, October 8, 2010

Week 2 of Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies - Chocolate Snowballs


I have joined a new baking group - 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies! Every week the members of the group bakes and then posts on Friday. In Australia we don't have a "Christmas Cookie Baking tradition" but I love baking cookies (or biscuits, as we know them) and I never need an excuse. This is actually the second week as I joined a little late.



This week I chose Chocolate Snowballs or Crinkles as I see them called occasionally. This is a recipe I jotted down while watching a cooking show hosted by Gabriel Gate` quite a few years ago. I have since adapted it a little adding a bit more flour and dark chocolate. I love the result and so does my family. I hope you do, too!

Chocolate Snowballs

200g plain flour
195g sugar
50g cocoa
1 teaspoon baking powder
80g butter
100g dark chocolate, chopped
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
200g sifted icing sugar, approximately


Place flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder in the food processor. Whizz for 30 seconds to combine. Add butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add chocolate, process again to break down the chocolate into finer pieces. Don't worry if there are a few chunks of chocolate. Add the eggs and vanilla. Process until it combines and pulls together.
Like all biscuits dough this benefits from 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Form small balls and roll in icing sugar. I don't like to tap off the excess so I simply place the sugar coated balls directly onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake at 170C for 10-12 minutes.
Don't overcook them they are meant to be soft and almost brownie like inside.


Week 2 Twelve Weeks of Christmas:

17 comments:

shaz said...

Oh these look great MArcellina. Funnily enough, when I lived in Malaysia, my aunt and grandma baked furiously leading up to Christmas (fruit cakes, cookies you name it), because we have a tradition called "open house" and anyone can drop in unannounced to celebrate. Since moving to Australia, I've kinda missed the whole lead up, but this virtual cookie baking session is wonderful. Can't wait to see what's next :)

April said...

I love anything with dark chocolate and these little gems are gorgeous!

Pam said...

I've always loved the cracked appearance of these - yours came out beautiful. Glad to be baking along with you!

Lisa said...

I love these cookies. Yours look so delicious and pretty with the sugar crust. It's great that you're baking along with us.

natalia said...

Ciao Marcellina ! I absolutely have to try them yours look gorgeous !

Mary said...

I love crackle cookies and yours are amazing! I made a spiced version of these last year and they were everyone's favourite. Are you freezing these cookies for Christmas, or eating them as you go along? I'm usually sick of cookies by Christmas, so I'd be doing lots of sampling now!

Laura said...

What a great collection, and those chocolate krinkles, like we call them here, look absolutely yummy!

Sue said...

Your chocolate snowballs turned out perfectly! What a great Christmas cookie (biscuit):)

Dajana said...

I made these for the first time last Christmas and they were definitely a great cookie. I like them, too, to be rich in chocolate.

Katrina said...

Ooh, perfectly festive, gotta have those crinkles every year! Yours look perfect.

Chef Dennis said...

what a wonderful event, 12 weeks of cookies....how I do love cookies! Those Chocolate Snowballs look so very very good! I wish I could have a few right now!

Beth said...

Those remind me of the chocolate crinkles I love to bake. Thanks for sharing!

Martha (MM) said...

I made a similar cookie but mine is a half homemade super easy version. Love this meme! :-)

Bonnie said...

I love the dark chocolate aspect of these cookies. So pretty and yummy looking.

amanda @ fake ginger said...

I love that you call them snowballs! That's so much more fun than crinkles! They look fabulous too!

Martha (MM) said...

Thanks for stopping by to comment on my fraternal twin post, definitely a totally different recipe for sure - but they sure look similar! My half homemade recipe called for the frozen whipped topping which you said isn't available in your area. I'm sure homemade whipped cream would work just fine too, it was all about making an easy version :-)

Moogie said...

I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/