Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 2010 Daring Bakers Challenge - Piece Montee


The May 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Cat of Little Miss Cupcake. Cat challenged everyone to make a piece montée, or croquembouche, based on recipes from Peter Kump’s Baking School in Manhattan and Nick Malgieri.
Cat's advice was this - "The classic piece montée is a high pyramid/cone made of profiteroles (cream-filled puff pastries) sometimes dipped in chocolate, bound with caramel, and usually decorated with threads of caramel, sugared almonds, chocolate, flowers, or ribbons. Modern pastry chefs have taken to assembling this dessert in all manners of shapes and sizes, and you should feel free to express your creativity too!"
I was thrilled with this month's challenge as I have made many profiteroles over the years and really enjoy making and eating them. However I have only once attempted spun sugar. This was going to be fun but what occasion would I serve it at. As the month passed I decided that the occasion would be "my family". What I mean is that I would make it just for my family to enjoy and eat the whole lot because usually I make cream puffs to take to a special occasion dinner or party. Yes, it is a little indulgent!
The only specification in the May challenge was that we were to use the choux pastry recipe provided.

Pate a Choux (Yield: About 28)



¾ cup (175 ml.) water
6 Tbsp. (85 g.) unsalted butter
¼ Tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup (125 g.) all-purpose flour
4 large eggs


For Egg Wash: 1 egg and pinch of salt


Pre-heat oven to 425◦F/220◦C degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Preparing batter:
Combine water, butter, salt and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally. At boil, remove from heat and sift in the flour, stirring to combine completely.
Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until the batter dries slightly and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.Transfer to a bowl and stir with a wooden spoon 1 minute to cool slightly.
As you stir, the batter will become dry-looking like lightly buttered mashed potatoes.
Add 1 egg. The batter will appear loose and shiny.
It is at this point that you will add in the next egg. Repeat until you have incorporated all the eggs.
Piping:
Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a large open tip (I piped directly from the bag opening without a tip). Pipe choux about 1 inch-part in the baking sheets. Choux should be about 1 inch high about 1 inch wide.
Using a clean finger dipped in hot water, gently press down on any tips that have formed on the top of choux when piping. You want them to retain their ball shape, but be smoothly curved on top.
Brush tops with egg wash (1 egg lightly beaten with pinch of salt).

Baking:
Bake the choux at 425◦F/220◦C degrees until well-puffed and turning lightly golden in color, about 10 minutes.
Lower the temperature to 350◦F/180◦C degrees and continue baking until well-colored and dry, about 20 minutes more. Remove to a rack and cool.
I always cool my puffs in the switched off oven with the door ajar and if not using immediately store them in the freezer.



I made my favourite vanilla creme patissiere. For this quantity of choux 3 times the recipe is required. 

Choux puffs filled and waiting for the caramel to be ready.

Hard Caramel Glaze:
1 cup (225 g.) sugar
½ teaspoon lemon juice
Combine sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan with a metal kitchen spoon stirring until the sugar resembles wet sand. Place on medium heat; heat without stirring until sugar starts to melt around the sides of the pan and the center begins to smoke. Begin to stir sugar. Continue heating, stirring occasionally until the sugar is a clear, amber color. Remove from heat immediately; place bottom of pan in ice water to stop the cooking. Use immediately.


Five choux puffs were dipped in the caramel and and arranged on the plate.  The next two layers were of four puffs and then three and so on until all the puffs were used. This quantity made 28 puffs but I only used 27 because one puff dissappeared after my son sneakily entered the kitchen. Oh, well! 

The croquembouche was decorated with spun sugar and fragrant fresh flowers.

This was a really enjoyable challenge and within most baker's capabilites. Many thanks to Cat for hosting the challenge. Be sure to check out Shaz, Pavithra, RenataLacerda and all the other Daring Bakers 
 for some more fantastic croquembouche!

27 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

Your croquembouche is gorgeous. I'm so impressed with the height you achieved. I'm sure your family had fun devouring it.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Wow, what a masterpiece. This is something I've always wanted to try, but it would require a very special occasion. You nailed it!

Ago said...

Marcellina, your croquembouche is fantastic!!! So high, very professional! :-D
I had not the time to comment it on the forum, but it was one of those that I've loved more!
I loked so much to spin the sugar...as a child, just like you told me! :-D
Kisses
Ago :-D

natalia said...

How wonderful marcellina ! I'm always in late and still have a warm creme so I'll follow your advise and stock my puffs in the freezer until tomorrow !

Cakelaw said...

Great job Marcellina - I especially love your cute sugar violets at the bottom.

chef_d said...

Wow that's an impressive looking croquembouche! Great job!

Poires au Chocolat said...

It's so tall! Great job - it looks beautiful.

bcswerit said...

that is an incredible Croquembouche! Very beautiful.

Karen @ Citrus and Candy said...

Wow your profiteroles really puffed up there, way more than mine, which is a good thing because that means more room for creme patissiere hehe. Speaking of which that large spoonful of creme patissiere?? I want that in my mouth! Yummmm.....

Renata said...

Marcellina, your Croquembouche is gorgeous! Very elegant on it's height. The flowers are so springlike and your spun sugar is absolutely perfect! Serving this to your family must have made them very proud of you! I want to honor my family as well with this special dessert as soon as I go back home in July. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog and for mentioning it on your post!

Pavithra said...

Dear Marcellina yours is really gorgeous and wonderful work with spun sugar with cute little spring flowers. Hats off to your great work and thanks for your lovely comment on my space and I am really honoured for mentioning it on you post dear!!!!

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Beautiful job!! Your spun sugar is stunning!

dana said...

Vive le croquembouche!
The flowers are so vibrant, gorgeous!

http://thefunkykitchen.com

Mary said...

What a beautiful, tall croquembouche, and what a spectacular treat for your family! How your son managed to stop at just one pilfered puff, I'll never figure out!

Deeba PAB said...

It's BEE-YOO-TI-FUL Marcellina, just awesome. I love that you got such a nice tall tower. I had some breathless moments building mine, but enjoyed the challenge SO MUCH!!

procrastinatingbaker said...

This is just gorgeous Marcellina. The spun sugar is so delicate too.

culinography said...

Just beautiful! (I lost a couple of puffs to sneaky hands, too!)

Taste of Beirut said...

I love that these puffs are surrounded with this caramel spun like angel hair! It looks fabulous!

Jamie said...

Oh my that is stunning! And now I am sad that I didn't attempt the spun sugar because yours is so beautiful! Glad you stopped by my blog so I can discover yours!

zoomyummy said...

wow, wow, wow, just wonderful! :) Petra

msmeanie said...

Wow Marcellina, your croquembouche looks perfect and the vanilla pastry cream looks so luscious. I just want a spoon of that right now!

Mary said...

This is just beautiful. I stumbled here by chance and had planned to say hello and then move on. I, instead, began to read your earlier posts and stayed way longer than I planned. You have a wonderful blog and I'll be back as often as I can. I hope you are having a wonderful day.
Blessings...Mary

Simona said...

Great job! I love the way you got the piece to be tall. I think making it just for your family was very nice. I also ended up not making it for a particular occasion. I am sure everybody around the table was overjoyed. Have they already asked you to make it again?

Mary said...

Just jumping back in to thank you for your visit to my blog. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Grace said...

Wow, you are very talented Marcellina. I saw this on MasterChef Australia last year and have wanted to attempt but to be honest it scares me to death. It is absolutely beautiful. I love profiteroles too!

shaz said...

Hi Marcellina,

I just got back from holidays and finally got the chance to come check out your post. Thank you so much for the shout out, very sweet of you.

My, oh my, you achieved such height with your "tower" and the spun sugar looks so beautiful. I can't get the sugar to do what I want it to and it sticks to everything, so bravo on the great work.

Bet your family enjoyed it!

Faery said...

Your croq.... Your tower is gorgeous and taller than mine :)