Tuesday, April 27, 2010

April Daring Bakers Challenge - Traditional British Steamed Pudding

The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.

Really when first realised that Esther of The Lilac Kitchen  wanted us to make a steamed pudding with suet I had two thoughts -  steaming, well, that's nothing new and suet - what a heart clogging ingredient! I was almost tempted to opt out of this challenge. Probably this is my thought every time but never more so than this time. Being Australian, steamed puddings are quite normal at Christmas with many people still following British tradition.  In fact I really enjoy a good Christmas plum pudding being first introduced to pudding when my widowed father remarried a lady of traditional British heritage. While cooking is not my stepmother's strong point her Christmas pudding is excellent. However it does not use suet and I was reluctant to use it for health reasons.

So, what is "suet". Suet is the raw beef fat from around the loins and kidneys of the beast. It has a low melting point but is solid at room temperature. Traditionally it is used in steamed pudding and in the pastry of steamed pudding such as steak and kidney pudding where the pastry lines the pudding bowl then is filled with meat and a lid of suet pastry seals the pudding. These puddings are generally steamed for three or four hours. You can read more about suet here.

Never would I have realised how foreign steaming a pudding seems to many people. Steamed puddings are generally steamed in a purpose made bowl which is covered with greased paper and foil and secured with kitchen string. The pudding is lowered into simmering water which should come halfway up the sides of the bowl. The bowl sits on a trivet, scrunched foil or even a folded tea towel int the pot so it does not come into contact with the direct heat. The pot is covered with the lid and the pudding allowed to steam for 3 or 4 hours as required. For detailed instructions follow this site.

I have to say our host Esther was very obliging and gave heaps of scope and options for those who chose not to use suet. To be honest I was only ever going to do one chocolate pudding using butter which would easily be enjoyed by the whole family.

Yes, it was enjoyed by everyone but I felt it was a little too chocolatey, dry and certainly could be improved. Here is the recipe if you would like to follow my journey.

While checking out other Daring Bakers completed puddings I was impressed with a particular steamed jam pudding by Renata Lacerda of Testado, Provado & Aprovado. Renata is a Brazilian currently living in South Korea and new to Daring Bakers. Renata's pudding looked like everything a steamed pudding should be - moist, dense and lusious! 

Then I remembered the cute and colourful mini pudding bowls I had purchase recently while on holidays.

 
And my mind started to create and imagine possibilities and combinations.

The basic pudding mix I followed was:
180g sugar
180g butter
180g flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 egg
5 tablespoons milk or more if required
vanilla

Mixing all the ingredients for about 3 minutes in the stand mixer.
Then I divided the mixture into five equal portions. 


Into the bottom of the first pudding bowl I arranged some candied kumquats  and mixed a little of the chopped kumquats and a spoonful of kumquat liquer. Yes, we have an abundance of kumquats growing in our back yard at the moment.

 
Homemade mulberry jam spooned into the bottom of the next bowl topped off with the pudding mixture into which was stirred one tablespoon of almond meal.

Thinly sliced pineapple sat of top of a brown sugar and butter mix then was topped with the pudding mixture into which was stirred 1 tablespoon of dessicated coconut and a spoonful of white rum.

Of course, I had to satisfy my Nutella obsessed son by spooning Nutella into the bottom of the bowl and topping with pudding mixture into which was stirred 1 tablespoon of ground hazelnuts. YUM!


More brown sugar and butter into the bottom of the last bowl topped with walnuts and pudding mixture flavoured with a spoonful of extra strong coffee.

To steam the puddings I placed some scrunched foil in the bottom of my electric frying pan which was half filled with boiling water. Each pudding was covered with a square of silicone baking paper, then a square of foil and secured with kitchen string. Once the water in the frying pan was boiling I carefully place each pudding bowl securely onto the scrunched foil, covered with the lid and let them simmer for 45 minutes. Be sure to grease the pudding bowls well. I also put a circle of greased paper in the bottom of each bowl.

The puddings were lovely and every thing I wanted a steamed pudding to be though very delicate and didn't come out of the pudding bowls as easily as they should have. I have since discovered that the recipe acutally required 3 eggs and not just the one. Oh well! 

In our hot tropical climate steaming for long periods of time is not generally the prefered method of cooking though I will continue to use this method for individual puddings which require less steaming time.

Thanks to our generous host Esther and be sure to check out Renata LaceradaC Mom Cook and many other Daring Bakers who dared to complete the April Challenge!

30 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I'm one of those who never ate or made a steamed pudding but after looking at all your wonderful examples, I'm game to try.

Pavithra said...

Oh wow they looks goregeous..everything is making me drool... yummy...

Cakelaw said...

What a lovely variety of puddings. I like the coffee walnut the best.

Barbara Bakes said...

I'm so impressed with your different puddings (the Nutella one especially caught my eye) and your cute mini pudding bowls. (Who knew there were pudding bowls.)

I have never had suet nor any type of British steamed pudding, so my first thought was to opt out too. But I did give the Very Chocolate Pudding a try and I was delightfully surprised.

Renata said...

They are all wonderful Marcellina! You had such great ideas to vary your puddings! Thanks for mentioning my recipe and blog! This was my first time making pudding (and also being introduced to it). I was quite surprised with the results. I still feel sorry for posting my recipe without the eggs (oh, what a shame!), but at least, we learned that these puddings can be so versatile. Even with only one egg it looks amazing! Well done!

Renata said...

Love your mini pudding bowls!

Amanda said...

Wow - you were productive! The pineapple one looks particularly good, and I LOVE those pudding bowls!

procrastinatingbaker.wordpress.com

Maya said...

They all look delicious! A kumquat tree in your backyard? I'm jealous - I couldn't find any for mine, though they were delicious without as well.

Poires au Chocolat said...

Oh wow - what a lovely selection! Gorgeous little bowls.

forkbootsandapalette said...

so many varieties..and all so lovely...but the chocolate one has me weak in the knees!

Audax said...

All you puddings are lovely and I like how did another batch just to make sure you knew the technique. They all look good but that mulberry is mouth-watering. Great work on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

ap269 said...

I LOVE all those mini puds! Maybe my kids would have eaten the pudding if I had made a nutella version, too. I, though, made a cranberry and orange pudding with orange marmalade - this is probably not very kid friendly :-(

shaz said...

So many varieties and those bowls are gorgeous! I think I like candied kumquats best :) I too couldn't bring myself to use suet, but I actually used lard instead (go figure, it's equally heart cloggin but I felt I could deal with it better :))

Way to go Marcellina!

bakingit said...

Your puddings look great!

Wic said...

wow what stunning versions. they all look delicious.

shelley c. said...

Those pudding bowls are so cute and colorful! I would probably be tempted to make puddings daily if I had those! :) I love all of the variations that you made - it is hard to pick a favorite out of those! Excellent job on the challenge!

Mary said...

What a great variety of puddings! I would have a very hard time choosing just one. Your colourful pudding bowls are so fun--I was excited to find plain ones here!

Anna said...

Great variety in your puddings! Nice job!

dana said...

I've never heard of steaming a pudding before. It seems very interesting though.

I love the pudding bowls! The nutella pudding sounds so good!

http://thefunkykitchen.com

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

WOW!! So many great choices!! I thought you were very creative and did the challenge so very well! :) Now, I need to catch up on your past posts---it's been so busy lately. :)

bake in paris said...

So creative! Using various flavors in your pudding is wonderful... They all look delicious!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Ago said...

Oh what great job!!! I love your pudding, above all the one with nutella and hazelnuts...oh delice!!! :-999999999
I'm looking for these bowls - yours are so CUUUUTEEEE!!!! so coloured :-D
Marcellina I love your job! a little question. so I can use baking powder in the pudding? :-*

chef_d said...

Wow, those pudding bowls look so cute! And I love all your puddings especially the brown sugar and walnut --yummy!

silverrock said...

Awww... the kumquat pudding is adorable, and I could totally go for that nutella one! Great ideas, I'll have to try one of your variations in the future. Great job on this month's challenge!

Simona said...

Those mini pudding bowls look adorable! The chocolate pudding certainly got my attention and then mulberry jam: how delightful!

Aparna said...

So many different puddings! They all look perfect.
Having made mine, I can understand that they're addictive. :)

Anita said...

Great idea using Nutella - that would have been perfect!!

Natalie... said...

Wowww so many different puddings to choose from and they all look as equally delicious as the other yummm!

natalia said...

Ciao ! How wonderful all your puddings are !!! Love the bowls !

Apu said...

Beautiful puddings!! Mulberry jam - yumm!!