Saturday, March 27, 2010

March Daring Bakers Challenge - Orange Tian

The 2010 March Daring Baker’s challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse’s Cooking School in Paris.
This month we were challenged to make a dessert  consisting of several different  layers - pate` sablee, orange marmalade, a flavored whipped cream, fresh orange segments and a caramel and orange sauce. You build the dessert upside down and then unmold the dessert so that the bottom layer (the orange segments) becomes the top layer. Our host was specific in her requirements.

"Variations allowed:
• You can choose to serve the dessert ‘family-style’ and don’t have to make it in individual portions
• You can use your favorite “Pate Sablee” recipe if you have one, but it must be a pate sablee
• You can add any additional flavoring to your whipped cream
• You can play with different citrus in this dessert (grapefruit, blood orange, lemon) at any step in the recipe.
However, you must make the tart dough, the whipped cream, the caramel sauce, citrus segments and marmalade."  
 
I decided to make individual desserts which I set in my little ceramic souffle dishes because that way I could accomodate with the family's individual taste -you know the drill, one doesn't like this, one screws up his nose to that!  I made the challenge tian, a jaffa icecream tian and a chocolate malteser tian ( for the chocolate lover in the family!).
 
So I started with the orange marmalade. I normally make lots of cumquat marmalade which is more bitter than this orange marmalade so on toast I found it a bit sweet. However in the end combination of the tian the marmalade was perfect.

Next the pate sablee - it was easy and I did not find any problems. 

I made some chocolate ones, too.


I had some trouble with the sauce. The instructions were -place the sugar in a pan on medium heat and begin heating it.Once the sugar starts to bubble and foam, slowly add the orange juice. My sugar just burnt and turned into a bitter toffee.


At this point I decided to deviate from the recipe so I mixed half of the orange juice into the sugar and allowed that to foam and bubble. Once golden and caramelized in went the rest of the juice. Finally, success!


The oranges needed to be segmented and marinated in half of the prepared sauce.


The whipped cream was stabilised with gelatine and flavoured with a little of the orange marmalade. I lined the dishes with plastic wrap which I wouldn't do next time because I think it was unneccessary and the finished tian didn't look smooth. Then I arranged the orange segments in the bottom ( which when unturned would become the top), filled with whipped, flavoured cream and topped with a pate sablee disc spread with marmalade (marmalade side down).
Orange Tian - a deceptively light and refreshing dessert!
For the Icecream Jaffa Tian I used a chocolate pate sablee disk, good vanilla icecream with marmalade  folded through interlaced with chocolate ganache topped with the orange segments. Chocolate ganache and orange sauce accompanied the frozen dessert. A cool change!

Chocolate Malteser Tian - pate sablee disk spread with dulce di leche, chocolate flavoured whipped cream and the Malteser topping drizzled with chocolate ganache.  Indugent! 

 Again, a great Daring Bakers challenge where there was something to be learnt for everyone. I will use this recipe but probably not as individual tians but as a "family-style" dessert. This would be great made into a tart to bring along to the next barbeque or group function. Also other versions with berries, stone fruit or even mango would be delightful. You can find the recipe for the Orange Tian here.
Thank you Jennifer for hosting this challenge and for your constant support throughout the month to all the Daring Bakers. Be sure to check out Mary Mary Culinary, Oonsky, Babara Bakes and othe Daring Bakers for their special take on the Orange Tian.

31 comments:

Ago said...

You are CRAZYYYYYYY!!!!!! Oh my GOOOODDDD!!!!!! I like them, but...the maltesers tian...OH MY GOD!!! ABSOLUTELY YUMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! :-9999999999999
Great great challengeeeee!!!!
My tians...in 8 hours! :-D

Mary said...

Wow--love all your variations on the tian! That Malteser one is tempting:)
I can't believe I have to wait another 12 hours to post, so I am impatiently looking at blogs in other time zones.
Thank you SO much for the link--you are too kind! I only did one version this month, but I loved it and will certainly be making it again, perhaps with berries.

Suzler said...

I'm seriously drooling over that Malteser tian. What a fabulous idea!

Argh, I want to post mine too! Just another five and a half hours ... ;)

oonsky said...

Malteser Tian ~ seriously! Wicked wicked wicked. So exquisite. Wish I were living next door to sample that!

Karen @ Citrus and Candy said...

Ooh yes chocolate pate sable and maltesers... I like I like and I want!

Alpineberry Mary said...

The chocolate malteser tian looks amazing. Love the flavors.

chef_d said...

Oh my goodness!! That chocolate malteser tian looks sooooooooooooo good!! Very good job!!

Deeba PAB said...

This is just over the top gorgeous! I do have a special corner for the malteser tians...incredible!!

ap269 said...

All these variations look gorgeous! I love how the chocolate malteser one looks - so mouthwatering!

Aparna said...

Three flavours, that's great. Not easy catering to everyone's tastes. :)
I especially liked the chocolate malteser one, but then I love chocolate!

Yasmeen said...

Great job! love both delicious variations :D

shaz said...

Fabulous MArcellina! The icecream jaffa version sounds sensational and those drips on the malteser one..oh drool! Very impressed :) Oh and I was confused too with the sugar thing, when it started to caramelise and look "dangerous", that's when I put the juice in, so it didn't really foam and bubble much.

natalia said...

Ciao ! You made me smile (and dream) with all your tians !!!

Tia said...

omg... the choc version sounds delightful!

Laura said...

Lovely work! I really like your variations as well :)

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

I'm loving your variations!! Just lovely

jfochek said...

Your tians look amazing! I especially love the chocolate pate sablee... A wedge of that with coffee would make a really nice breakfast right about now. :) Nice work!

Cheap Ethnic Eatz said...

Love the jaffa version, and love the way you did it in ramakins with saran...great idea.

lisamichele said...

Your tians (and photos) are just gorgeous and the malted milk ball one is not only brilliant, but perfection. I love malted milk anything!

Kathleen said...

Soooo beautiful! You are amazing. Not only ios your orange tian fabulous but the Chocolate Malteser Tian.......I'm totally dying for that!

Maya said...

The ice cream is an inspired idea. Mind if I borrow it sometime? I'm thinking chocolate sables , vanilla bean ice cream and fresh raspberries on top - yum!

shelley c. said...

WOW - you went SO above and beyond, and the results are amazing. And I bet they were DELICIOUS!!! I may have to try the chocolate pate sablee and make up some fun variations of this like you did! Awesome job.

bake in paris said...

First of all, I love the chocolate pate sablee. Secondly I adore all the variety, especially the Chocolate Maltese Tian. How wonderful it looks and tastes :-)

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Loie said...

Yum chocolate malteser tian! That is such a good variation!

Isabelle said...

So ambitious to try three versions and they all came out beautifully!
I love your Malteser version:))

annmartina said...

All the different kinds! And chocolate too. I agree with you. I find carmelizing sugar easier if I add some liquid at the beginning of the process.

Faery said...

Wow I love all the variations specialy the one with chocolate , it looks fantastic

juliana said...

i want a chocolate tian right now! it looks soooo good! congrats!

Anh said...

Wow! I really like the chocolate pastry base as well! Certainly look good!

msmeanie said...

Wow! I love the chocolate variation -- looks divine.

trissalicious said...

Well done Marcellina! I love the idea of a jaffa and so would my husband. He would definitely ask me to make this if he saw it!