Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Chocolate Cherry Slice

When I was young there was a television advertisement that depicted a beautiful lady dressed in a flowing dress swinging on a tree swing. Flowers flowed abundantly and the music was dreamy and joyful. I wanted what she had that made her life so wonderful and she so attractive and peaceful! You may ask what was being advertised? Yes, all this was for the well known chocolate bar Cherry Ripe by Cadbury. So, I surmised, Cherry Ripe bars would delivered to me the perfect life. I've grown up to realise that Cherry Ripe bars cannot solve all the problems of life but they do come close! Really!


So, it stands to reason that this is one of my favourite slices. Crispy base, sweet coconut and cherry filling top with dark chocolate. I found this recipe on the Australian Women Weekly site and have adapted it slightly. Pop a couple into your children's lunchbox and they will be the envy of their class mates. 
 

 Chocolate Cherry Slice

1 cup self raising flour
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/3 cup sugar
125g butter, melted
100g crush plain or chocolate flavoured biscuits

Filling:
1 1/2 cup dessiccated coconut
 395g tin condensed milk
200g glace cherries, chopped
few drops of pink food colour, optional

Topping:
150g dark chocolate
30g copha or vegetable shortening

Preheat over 180C. Line a 20cm x 30cm baking pan.
Mix ingredients for base and press into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes.

For the filling:
Mix together coconut, condensed milk, cherries and food colour if using  spread evenly over base and return to oven for a further 15 minutes.

Topping:
Melt chocolate and copha and spread over cooled slice.
Cut into square when the chocolate is set.

Makes 30 pieces depending on how big you cut the squares.

7 comments:

RCakeWalk said...

Mmmmmm, looks really good! Kind of like Nainamo bars, but better since chocolate and cherries are so great together!

Betty said...

man o man- these look GREAT!!

Laurie said...

These are beautiful.. and I couldn't imagine anything more tasty than cherries, coconut and chocolate! Yum!

Simona said...

I enjoyed reading the story of Cherry Ripe. I don't remember ever seeing this bar when I was in England. A very interesting color combination. I agree that cherry and chocolate together can contribute to the solution of many problems. Your slices look really nice!

trissalicious said...

Cherry ripe is one of my Mum's favourite chocolate bars. She'll be thrilled to see me make these.

msmeanie said...

Yum! These sound great. They remind me a lot of Nanaimo bars. I love the use of coconut in desserts.

Anita said...

What a great recipe!! I'd love to try it. I love cherry ripes and would love to make a slice like it.