Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Salad for all Seasons

As the scorching heat of our tropical summer begins to give way to the humidity of the relentless rain of the wet season, I find I am still wanting and enjoying salads of all types. This is a slightly substantial salad which, I guess, could be a light lunch but I enjoy it as an accompaniment to BBQ's and picnics and, in fact, many other meals. A good friend introduced me to this salad and I was immediately hooked.  
Basically, it is just fried bacon, hard boiled eggs, fresh, thinly sliced mushrooms with baby spinach leaves but the dressing is the clincher - a small amount of Indian curry powder adds zing. 

 

This combination is irrisistable.

You can, of course, use this dressing on other combinations of salad ingredients... 
...or use a favorite dressing on this combination.   
But first do yourself a favour and try it as it is before you make up your mind that it can be improved. Some things just can't. This is one of them.

C's SPINACH SALAD

160g baby spinach leaves
150g lean bacon rashes
4 or 5 button mushrooms, sliced
 3 hard boiled eggs, sliced

The Dressing:
1/3 cup light olive oil
40ml white wine vinegar
20ml dry white wine 
20ml soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon Indian curry powder
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and pepper

Remove rind from bacon, dice and fry until crisp. If you're pedantic, remove the stalks from the spinach
(I don't). Arrange spinach, bacon, mushrooms and eggs on a wide flat plate. Combine dressing ingredients in a jar....shake well. Drizzle dressing over salad and enjoy!

8 comments:

Anita said...

I like this salad combination. It sounds lovely. I really don't eat that much salad - but this does sound like something I would try :)

shaz said...

Sounds like a great salad Marcellina. I often find myself wanting salad when it's too hot and I don't feel like eating anything else. Very interesting combination in the salad dressing, will have to try this out - sounds simple and satisfying :)

Marcellina said...

Thanks Anita and Shaz! Yes, this really is worth trying even if you're not much of a salad eater.

Laurie said...

Marcellina I am so glad you found my blog because now I have found yours! The salad is lovely, light and zesty with that delicious dressing, but I have to tell you, I love your cannoli post!! I am floored that you made 1500 cannoli for your sons fundraising venture.. :) WOW!! I used to do Daring Bakers but it got too busy for me.. but your cannoli look beautiful and your family must never tire of how yummy they are!! One of my overseas adventures was a trip to Australia, I toured there for approximately 5 months. I loved it!! Looking forward to keeping up with your site! Ciao, Laurie

Marcellina said...

Thank you Laurie, I look forward to keeping up with your site, too!

Y said...

Sounds like a lovely salad, and bacon always makes anything 100x better, I say ;)

By the way, love that picture of the dressing in the jar!

msmeanie said...

Sounds hearty yet refreshing. The dressing sounds delicious. By the way, I gave you an award on my blog. I think you have already received this award but you deserve it again. Congratulations!

trissalicious.com said...

Reading the ingredients and looking at that delicious picture - it says spring on a plate to me and it looks so good that I have to admit you are right - I dont think it can be improved!