Sunday, February 28, 2010

February Daring Bakers Challenge - Tiramisu

This month the Daring Bakers were challenged to prepared Tiramisu. Not so difficult many of you say. Made it before -easy! Yes, that may be so but when we checked the recipe carefully we soon realise that what was required was no mean feat. Everything was made from scratch. No going down to the shop for store bought marscapone or savoiardi biscuits. No, no, no! We were challenged to make it all at home. This recipe also included pastry cream and zabaglione.

The February 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Aparna of My Diverse Kitchen and Deeba of Passionate About Baking. They chose Tiramisu as the challenge for the month. Their challenge recipe is based on recipes from The Washington Post, Cordon Bleu at Home and Baking Obsession.

I decided to stick to the original recipe given and the result was truely heaven on a plate! 

The Savoiardi biscuits proved easy to make....



......and delicious to eat! I made these several times as they are so yummy we kept eating them. Yes, they do last a week or two that's if you can resist munching on one or two as you pass the biscuit tin.


My only experience of Zabalione was not a good one but I now realise that it was not cooked long enough. This Zabaglione was all it should be - airy, sweet and rich.

Pastry cream is something I have made many times and I always covered with plastic wrap directly on
the cream to prevent a skin forming.

Mascapone is quite easy to make by simply heat cream up to 95C adding lemon juice, heat a bit more, cool and pour into cheesecloth lined sieve. I have made it previously for the Cannoli challenge with no problem. However this time I used boiled chux cloths in place of the cheesecloth and found a great portion of my mascapone escaped through the too large holes of the cloth. So, the moral of the story is don't use a
cloth with too much open weave.

 

Each componant of the Tiramisu was delicious so I knew we were onto a very good thing! I used a plastic lined spring form pan to assemble my tiramisu and refrigerated it overnight to allow it to set and the flavours to meld. The next day, like many other Daring Bakers, I found the result although devine was very soft, oozy and didn't slice neatly at all. So, following our hosts advice, I froze the tiramisu. 


Now I could slice it neatly and in our summer heat each slice defrosted within minutes. My mini food critics claimed it a success and for a few days in a row was their after school treat. Not too many kids go home from school to tiramisu! I wonder what sort of food monsters I am creating!

 

I seem to love all the challenges but I particularly like this one and I can see this recipe will be prepared in my family for years to come. You too, can join the tradition by following the recipe here.  My thanks go to Aparna and Deeba for a brilliant challenge and their constant support to all Daring Bakers throughout the month of February. Check out Oonsky, Shaz, Audax and the other Daring Bakers and see the brilliant creations they have all come up with. 

28 comments:

shaz said...

Oh the presentation of this is so gorgeous Marcellina. And your piping skills are awesome, the savoiardi are perfect! (We couldn't stop eating them either). I was wondering about that pic of your mascarpone and the patterning on it until I read the explanation, whoops! Thanks for letting us know though :). Great job dear, bravissimmo!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

This is a beauty. I love those little gold balls on top.

Mary said...

it looks absolutely gorgeous! I'd be rushing home after school if I knew that was waiting for me!

Laurie said...

Marcellina this is extraordinary.. I can't believe you took the time to make the cheese and the savoiardi at home.. brava!! Ciao.. :)

Maya said...

Beautiful! The gold dragees look great against the cocoa background. I'm definitely stealing that idea next time I make tiramisu!

Dragon said...

Your Tiramisu is lovely. :) Great job on this challenge!

trissalicious.com said...

Marcellina - your tiramisu looks so elegant with the way you layered it and added the touch of a ribbon and little gold balls! I adore it.

Deeba PAB said...

Oh this is pretty and I love the ease with which you went along with it. A truely spirited Daring Baker. Well done on the challenge. It's beautifully set and sliced. Lucky kids... tee hee... I know what you mean when you say 'monsters'!!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow you did a gorgeous job! I love how perfect your biscuits came out and the charlotte effect! :D

Broxholm Road said...

It looks fantastic Marcellina, che brava! Ciao, Laura

Aparna said...

Looks beautiful. Happy to see it all worked out in the end.
Your little "monsters" as you call them are turning out developing a fine taste for good food! :)
Thanks for baking with us.

RCakeWalk said...

Your dessert looks lovely! Next time I make it, I will freeze before slicing, too... You have beautiful presentation skills!

Lori said...

I am also creating food monsters! My little guys don't know that people actually go to a bakery for fresh breads. All they know is that their mom grows something she calls "Herman" in her fridge to make her bread with! They are certainly fun and make life a true adventure! Great job on your Tiramisu! What wonderful pictures you have taken to show the steps taken to make it also! I am jealous of how GREAT yours looks! Maybe I will have to do a second recipe this week since I have all the leftover cheese :)

juliana said...

wow! it looks great! i really enjoy this challenge

chef_d said...

What a beautiful looking tiramisu! And a perfectly layered slice!

Cheap Ethnic Eatz said...

So gorgeous and presentation impeccable. It was a challenge with everything from scratch.

Faery said...

Marcellina il tuo tiramisù è bellisimo, your tiramisu is so beautiful and the pictures too I love that perfect slice showing all the savoiardi

Barbara Bakes said...

Such a gorgeous tiramisu! Love the way you wrapped it with ladyfingers and a ribbon! Perfect slices!

Mallini said...

Your tiramisu looks so beautiful. Congratulations!

Eyes Bigger Than Belly said...

WOW!!! Your tiramisu is truly stunning - this challenge has given me so many ideas for how I will do it differently next time - and there will be a next time despite my "issues"!! :)

Laura said...

Marcellina, I had the same problem with the cheese cloth! Your finished dessert looks spectacular, great job!

anjelikuh said...

lovely tiramisu with great decorations. Love how your ladyfingers look so well placed in the cut-sections of the cake! great job!

Anita said...

Your tiramisu looks gorgeous cut! I love the biscuits around the edge too.

Lisa Michelle said...

Marcellina..wow, what a gorgeous tiramisu - love the gold dragees on top. Everything looks amazing..from your savoiardi to your mascarpone to the main star, of course..and great photos too! Well done and then some!!

Simona said...

I particularly admire your savoiardi. I use napkins to drain my cheese. I tested them first and now they've been permanently assigned to a new use. Lovely presentation for your tiramisu. I can imagine the enthusiasm all around.

ice tea: sugar high said...

The presentation are just flawless! Hope it tasted as good as it looked =)

msmeanie said...

Wow. Your tiramisu looks absolutely perfect. Love the decorations too. Great job on this challenge.

Ago said...

Wow! Marcellina, you tiramisù is sooooo YUMMMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!! great great photo! :-9999
Are you ready for the next challenge??? I think to be ok this time! :-D
kisses
Ago :-D